Old 15-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] My visit to the national Arboretum in DC

Thanks for asking for clarity.

Goshin is a group planting famous in the US. It has
been donated to the National Arboritum in Washington
DC by the artist, John Naka. It has been well
documented in this country. A photo can be seen in
John's first book of Bonsai Techniques. I forget the
number of trees in the composition. The material is
needle junipers with jinned tops simulating a very old
conifer forest. John has said that this grove
represents his family and he has added trees since the
original planting.

The bonsai collection at the National Arboretum is
divided in to a Chinese section, a Japanese section,
and a USA section. The trees all being donated to the
USA and the arboretum by individuals or countries. It
is an amazing collection, well layed out and well
tended.

Bogies are Bogenvilla (sp?). The Arboretum has a
small tropical selection of bonsai trees in a
controlled environment/greenhouse setting. Among
those tropical trees were a couple bogenvillas with (I
guess) a girth of 5 inches to 6 inches at the nebari.
In California, we do grow bogenvilla outside as a
tender plant. Because of the growing conditions being
less than optimal, I have never seen a bogenvilla with
more than an inch and a half diameter.

So you can begin to imagine why I was impressed with
these trees.

When I came home I spent the last two weekends trying
to refine or re-style my collection. I do have more
trees than the National Arboretum, but not the
quality.

Kitsune Miko

--- Theo wrote:
HI Kitsune Miko
what is a Goshin and a Bugies ( means candles in
french :-)
Washinton DC?
Thanks
Theo

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Anita picked me up at my friend's pre Civil War
vintage farm house in Maryland and took me into DC

we
met Anita there.

So i got to tour the collection in the company of

the
collection's plant pathologist and a docent.

Gosh, those trees are beautiful!

Befor viewing the collection, I wondered why so

many
were interested in Bougies. In California they

are
never more than skinny sticks. Growing in a

proper
cliamte, the sure do shape up.

I wanted to see Goshin. I had seen photos of this
planting. They are nothing compared to the real
thing. I think one would have to spend a lot of

time
there to really know the trees.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++