Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] My visit to the national Arboretum in DC

Well I have been back for a week, which means two wees
ago Sunday I got to meet Nina Shiskoff and Anita
Hawkins face to face after all this time.

Anita picked me up at my friend's pre Civil War
vintage farm house in Maryland and took me into DC we
met Anita there.

So i got to tour the collection in the company of the
collection's plant pathologist and a docent.

Gosh, those trees are beautiful!

Befor viewing the collection, I wondered why so many
were interested in Bougies. In California they are
never more than skinny sticks. Growing in a proper
cliamte, the sure do shape up.

I wanted to see Goshin. I had seen photos of this
planting. They are nothing compared to the real
thing. I think one would have to spend a lot of time
there to really know the trees.

Thanks Nina and Anita, who I will never confuse with
Iris Cohen again.

KItsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Theo

HI Kitsune Miko
what is a Goshin and a Bugies ( means candles in french :-)
Washinton DC?
Thanks
Theo

Old 15-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

Thanks for asking for clarity.

Goshin is a group planting famous in the US. It has
been donated to the National Arboritum in Washington
DC by the artist, John Naka. It has been well
documented in this country. A photo can be seen in
John's first book of Bonsai Techniques. I forget the
number of trees in the composition. The material is
needle junipers with jinned tops simulating a very old
conifer forest. John has said that this grove
represents his family and he has added trees since the
original planting.

The bonsai collection at the National Arboretum is
divided in to a Chinese section, a Japanese section,
and a USA section. The trees all being donated to the
USA and the arboretum by individuals or countries. It
is an amazing collection, well layed out and well
tended.

Bogies are Bogenvilla (sp?). The Arboretum has a
small tropical selection of bonsai trees in a
controlled environment/greenhouse setting. Among
those tropical trees were a couple bogenvillas with (I
guess) a girth of 5 inches to 6 inches at the nebari.
In California, we do grow bogenvilla outside as a
tender plant. Because of the growing conditions being
less than optimal, I have never seen a bogenvilla with
more than an inch and a half diameter.

So you can begin to imagine why I was impressed with
these trees.

When I came home I spent the last two weekends trying
to refine or re-style my collection. I do have more
trees than the National Arboretum, but not the
quality.

Kitsune Miko

Old 15-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Dennis Howke

Hi Theo,

Bonsai images from the U.S. National Arboretum
Collection can be found on Jerry Meislik web site.
http://bonsaihunk.8m.com/pic/nat/nat.html

On page 7 the 4th image is the goshin.

Dennis Howke

Old 15-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Thanks for asking for clarity.

snip

snip

When I came home I spent the last two weekends trying
to refine or re-style my collection. I do have more
trees than the National Arboretum, but not the
quality.

Kitsune Miko

I do that too. I don't have as many trees as the arboretum, but I have a lot.
Whenever I come back from there, or from any exhibition, I also spend time thinking
about how to improve my trees. It's a good reason to go to as many displays and
exhibitions as possible.

I just got back from the exposition at the North Carolina Arboretum. Didn't run
into any IBC people there, at least anyone I knew, except for Anita Hawkins. It
was a very good exhibition. A few trees didn't do anything for me, but overall the
quality of the trees was excellent, and a lot of attention was paid to detail in
the displays. Very carefully done.

The thing that interested me was that some of the trees were in mica pots (yes,
this is a conscious effort to get us off of Andy's "bonsai as art" kick.) The pots
were oiled and looked very good. I was under the impression that most major
exhibitions don't allow mica pots. They looked fine to me, and in no way
detracted from the exhibit.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Theo

HI Kitsune Miko

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Thanks for the informations ,

When I came home I spent the last two weekends trying
to refine or re-style my collection. I do have more
trees than the National Arboretum, but not the
quality.

Oh my? I think tha it means.. many.. a lot of work ..a lot of
pleasure :-)
I have some bonsai that I cherish , they are not very good
according the Japanese standards.. but I live in Europe and here the
trees are less educated ,so I try to make my little trees a
little bit like their big brothers in nature ... applaying the Japanese
techniques :-) of course
Thanks again
Theo

Kitsune Miko

Old 16-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Iris Cohen

what is a Goshin and a Bugies

"Goshin" is a famous bonsai by John Naka. It is a group planting of needle
juniper.
"Bougie" in bonsai slang is short for Bougainvillea. Nothing to do with
candles.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."