Old 01-02-2003, 07:24 AM
A guy named Emil

Default Black area on my new bare roots, should I be worried?

Cass

I'm sorry if I missed reading your posts about growth on all your
bareroots. I didn't notice growth on the picture you posted on your
gallery. If you really already have whole leaves growing from any
bareroot, you don't need to mound. If any bareroots have only swollen
buds without any leaves (which is what you circled in red), then you
should mound until you see new growth. I remember that you are in
SoCal, and I've heard that it's been quite warm wih Santa Ana winds.
Those conditions can kill a bareroot rose that gets too dry.

Supersoil, a potting mix, is probably okay, tho I prefer compost
because of its superior ability to hold water. Potting soils can dry
out quickly when it's windy. Wet sawdust is also okay.

It can take quite a mound of compost to cover all but the top 2 inches
of the canes. That's why I use collars when I need to. I planted the
bareroot that I showed at
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...oundedCane.jpg
on January 17, and I'm already hosing the compost off a little at a
time because I can see growth of about 2 inches in length on the left
side. Once I started hosing off the compost, I found considerably more
growth.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Ahhhhhhh, now I get it! :-)
Yes, the circled areas are little bud's. My Moonshadow bareroot has some
awesome leaf growth going on.
This is probably a stupid question. Is it normal for some bareroots to develop
faster than others? I ask because the Moonshadow I mentioned has a couple of
inches of leaves already, the others just have buds developing. All were
planted at the same time.

Thanks,
Emil