Old 15-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] My visit to the national Arboretum in DC

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Thanks for asking for clarity.

snip

snip

When I came home I spent the last two weekends trying
to refine or re-style my collection. I do have more
trees than the National Arboretum, but not the
quality.

Kitsune Miko

I do that too. I don't have as many trees as the arboretum, but I have a lot.
Whenever I come back from there, or from any exhibition, I also spend time thinking
about how to improve my trees. It's a good reason to go to as many displays and
exhibitions as possible.

I just got back from the exposition at the North Carolina Arboretum. Didn't run
into any IBC people there, at least anyone I knew, except for Anita Hawkins. It
was a very good exhibition. A few trees didn't do anything for me, but overall the
quality of the trees was excellent, and a lot of attention was paid to detail in
the displays. Very carefully done.

The thing that interested me was that some of the trees were in mica pots (yes,
this is a conscious effort to get us off of Andy's "bonsai as art" kick.) The pots
were oiled and looked very good. I was under the impression that most major
exhibitions don't allow mica pots. They looked fine to me, and in no way
detracted from the exhibit.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37