Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 PM
oiorpata

Default Norwegian Pickled Cucumber

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:17:42 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "PendletonPR" contains these words:

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

Ask in The Shed - better, I've cross-posted this there. You should start
getting answers any minute now. We have a small Scandal-navian
contingent, and if none of them has a recipe, I'm sure one of them'll
soon find one.

The problem might be that you can't get hold of concentrated white
vinegar. The Scandinavians have several different strengths of white
vinegar, and the recipes tend to use the stronger concentrations which
aren't easily available in the UK. So you could try increasing the
amount of white vinegar you use, or if the recipe calls for white
vinegar and water, just use the white vinegar, because the stuff you
get over here is already diluted. So if you try the recipe below and
can't get 12% or 24% acetic acid (or stronger) then experiment with
reducing the amount of water and increasing the amount of dilute white
vinegar)

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.
Slice half a cucumber very thinly (use one of those Scandinavian
cheese slicer thingies to get paper thin slices).
Put the cucumber in a bowl and cover with a mixture of 300 ml of
water, 3 tablespoons of highly concentrated white vinegar and 3
tablespoons of sugar. Leave in the fridge for a few hours to marinate,
and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley before serving.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.
Half a kilo of gerkins, washed, jabbed with a fork and sliced.
1 bunch of crown dill, washed and chopped.
1 tablespoon of 24% acetic acid
750 ml water
50 ml mineral salt
2 tablespoons sugar
Mix layers of gerkin and dill in a glass jar. Boil up the other
ingredients and then allow to cool.
Pour cold fluid over the gerkins and dill. Cover and leave to marinate
in the fridge for a couple of days before using.
--

Kran
emu "karen at lesbiangardens fullstop net"