Old 15-10-2003, 06:13 AM
PendletonPR

Default Norwegian Pickled Cucumber

Apologies for being slightly off topic

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

TIA

Nora

Old 15-10-2003, 11:22 AM
martin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:39:12 +0100, "PendletonPR"
wrote:

Apologies for being slightly off topic

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

Are they really large gerkins pickled in vinegar with dill?
--
Martin
Old 15-10-2003, 11:42 AM
martin

wrote:

Apologies for being slightly off topic

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

I found this on the web for *Danish* pickled cucumbers
http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...ussion%20Forum

DANISH PICKLED CUCUMBERS
Mon May 5 2003 3:33:43 pm
204.180.124.85

DANISH PICKLED CUCUMBERS

6 large cucumbers
2 c. water
1/4 c. mustard seed
2 tsp. whole allspice
2 tsp. dill seed
2 tsp. salt
3 c. cider vinegar
2/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. white peppercorns
6 large shallots, chopped

Trim ends off cucumbers; peel cucumbers and cut in half
lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds. Cut cucumbers
crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Divide slices equally
between two jars, each 1-quart size. In a 2 to 3 quart pan,
combine vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seed, cloves, allspice,
peppercorns, dill seed, shallots and salt. Bring mixture; to a
boil on high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cool to room
temperature. Pour over cucumbers. Cover and chill to blend
flavors, at least 24 hours or up to 7 days. Makes about 2
quarts.

----

--
Martin
Old 15-10-2003, 11:42 AM
martin

wrote:

Apologies for being slightly off topic

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

I found this on the web for *Danish* pickled cucumbers
http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...ussion%20Forum

DANISH PICKLED CUCUMBERS
Mon May 5 2003 3:33:43 pm
204.180.124.85

snip

Sorry I omitted the link to the main site
http://disc.server.com/Indices/60579.html
--
Martin
Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "PendletonPR" contains these words:

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

Ask in The Shed - better, I've cross-posted this there. You should start
getting answers any minute now. We have a small Scandal-navian
contingent, and if none of them has a recipe, I'm sure one of them'll
soon find one.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 PM
oiorpata

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:17:42 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "PendletonPR" contains these words:

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

Ask in The Shed - better, I've cross-posted this there. You should start
getting answers any minute now. We have a small Scandal-navian
contingent, and if none of them has a recipe, I'm sure one of them'll
soon find one.

The problem might be that you can't get hold of concentrated white
vinegar. The Scandinavians have several different strengths of white
vinegar, and the recipes tend to use the stronger concentrations which
aren't easily available in the UK. So you could try increasing the
amount of white vinegar you use, or if the recipe calls for white
vinegar and water, just use the white vinegar, because the stuff you
get over here is already diluted. So if you try the recipe below and
can't get 12% or 24% acetic acid (or stronger) then experiment with
reducing the amount of water and increasing the amount of dilute white
vinegar)

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.
Slice half a cucumber very thinly (use one of those Scandinavian
cheese slicer thingies to get paper thin slices).
Put the cucumber in a bowl and cover with a mixture of 300 ml of
water, 3 tablespoons of highly concentrated white vinegar and 3
tablespoons of sugar. Leave in the fridge for a few hours to marinate,
and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley before serving.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.
Half a kilo of gerkins, washed, jabbed with a fork and sliced.
1 bunch of crown dill, washed and chopped.
1 tablespoon of 24% acetic acid
750 ml water
50 ml mineral salt
2 tablespoons sugar
Mix layers of gerkin and dill in a glass jar. Boil up the other
ingredients and then allow to cool.
Pour cold fluid over the gerkins and dill. Cover and leave to marinate
in the fridge for a couple of days before using.
--

Kran
emu "karen at lesbiangardens fullstop net"
Old 16-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Richard Robinson

In article , oiorpata wrote:
[...]

Goodness, I didn't know that. Crossfade to the various "distilling/why
aren't we allowed" threads ?

--
Richard Robinson

If you want my address, put beulah where the spam trap is.
Old 16-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Tash

oiorpata say

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.

arj recipe try of me Spasibo.
--
Tash
Old 16-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"Tash" wrote in message
oiorpata say

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.

arj recipe try of me Spasibo.

My grandfather used to slice large onoions into very thin rings, and mix
with diagonally sliced cucumber: then a little sea salt and black pepper,
and cover with used pickling vinegar - leave in a cold place for 4 hours &
serve with salad or with meat-and-potato type meals.

unforgets me of what Dr Johnson said of the cucumber: "sliced and served
with vinegar it is fit for nothing"

Old 16-10-2003, 08:23 PM
JonG

Robert E A Harvey wrote:
"Tash" wrote in message

oiorpata say

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.

arj recipe try of me Spasibo.

My grandfather used to slice large onoions into very thin rings, and mix
with diagonally sliced cucumber: then a little sea salt and black pepper,
and cover with used pickling vinegar - leave in a cold place for 4 hours &
serve with salad or with meat-and-potato type meals.

I hae a large kilner jar of Pickled Mushrooms what come out when I want
to frighten dinner guests - very nice, almost a creamy texture now.
Still going strong [1] after about five years.

[1] And stronger and stronger

--

JonG
Don't Touch Me!

Old 16-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from JonG contains these words:

I hae a large kilner jar of Pickled Mushrooms what come out when I want
to frighten dinner guests - very nice, almost a creamy texture now.
Still going strong [1] after about five years.

[1] And stronger and stronger

I usually pickle young caps of honey fungus, but there haven't been many
round here this year. The older caps when pickled would certainly
frighten your guests - they're all sloopy and schlymie like a dead
octopus. [99]

[99] but a different shape of course. [768]
[768] and no suckers [0]
[0] Tentacles, Frank, TENTACLES. [8]
[8] eightacles if you counts them thobut.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 17-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Kate Dicey

JonG wrote:

Robert E A Harvey wrote:
"Tash" wrote in message

oiorpata say

This recipe makes sweet pickled cucumber, but it only keeps for a few
days.

This recipe is for gerkins, and with dill instead of parsley.

arj recipe try of me Spasibo.

My grandfather used to slice large onoions into very thin rings, and mix
with diagonally sliced cucumber: then a little sea salt and black pepper,
and cover with used pickling vinegar - leave in a cold place for 4 hours &
serve with salad or with meat-and-potato type meals.

I hae a large kilner jar of Pickled Mushrooms what come out when I want
to frighten dinner guests - very nice, almost a creamy texture now.
Still going strong [1] after about five years.

[1] And stronger and stronger

--

JonG
Don't Touch Me!

I reckon my pickled garlic is about 22 years old now... Only another 28
to go, and it'll be ready fer noshing! We have not been troubled with
vampires for some time...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old 17-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Sacha

in article , PendletonPR at
wrote on 14/10/03 5:39 pm:

Apologies for being slightly off topic

Does anyone have a recipe for Norwegian sweet pickled cucumber.? The
Norwegians seem to buy it in shops. Recipes I have been given when in
Norway don't seem to work - perhaps the ingredients do not translate well or
I am inept. None of my books seem to have the right formula.

The cucumbers are obviously young, thinly sliced and in a white sweet
vinegar. What we buy when in Norway soon gets used up and I would like to
make my own.

TIA

Nora

I asked an American friend whose family is Norwegian for any guidance that
could be offered. This is the reply:

"I find that with cucumbers (whether American or English -- there is a
difference) it's important to slice them thinly and then (most important)
salt them and let them drain of excess water, then rinse briefly to wash off
the salt and squeeze in cheesecloth to remove the excess water.

I'm unfamiliar with Norwegian style sweet pickles. Is it a very light
sweetness? If so, salt cukes as above, then try using equal parts water and
plain white vinegar, adding three or four tablespoons of sugar (or more, if
you like it sweeter) and just a small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of salt and a
dash of ground white pepper. Just let it sit at room temperature for an hour
before serving -- this is not a heavy pickle, more like a salad. Thinly
sliced sweet onions can be added with the liquids."

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 18-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Sacha

in article , martin at
wrote on 18/10/03 9:00 am:

snip?
If it's like Danish pickled cucumber it will be very sweet.

Here's a recipe from the Norwegian friend but it is a Danish one, yes.

Recipe:

Agurkesalat

serves 4

2 large (8-inch) or 3 medium (6-inch) cucumbers
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
2 tablespoons of chopped dill

Scrub the wax coating off the cucumbers (if any) and dry them. Score the
cucumbers lengthwise with a fork and cut them in the thinnest possible
slices; ideally, the slices should be almost translucent. Arrange them in a
thin layer in a shallow china or glass dish and sprinkle with salt (not the
salt above). Place 2 or 3 plates on top of the cucumbers (to press out the
excess water and bitterness) and let them rest at room temperature for a
couple of hours.

Remove the plates, drain the cucumbers of all their liquid, and spread them
out on paper towels. Gently pat the cucumbers dry with paper towels and
return them to the dish. In a small bowl, beat together the vinegar, sugar,
salt and pepper. Pour over the cucumbers and strew them with the chopped
dill. Chill for 2 or 3 hours and just before serving, drain away nearly all
of the liquid. Serve as a salad, as a garnish on different smoerrebrod, or
with meat and poultry.

--from Foods of the World: The Cooking of Scandinavia

Says it is Danish; my guess is the Norwegians do not use the dill.

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)