Old 16-10-2003, 10:42 AM

Default insulating pots from the cold weather

"JennyC" wrote in message
:
: "john west++++" wrote in message
: news : hi, we have two potted plants I wish to protect from the frost on a
: patio at
: the rear of the house.
:
: What type of plants are they John ? They might not be suitabkle to
: stay out at all!
:
: my plan is to put two large clear plastic bags right over the plants
: and
: pots.
:
: Bad idea John as the plants will 'sweat' and that will freez. Better
: to wrap the pot in bubble plastic to keep the cold out. Wrap the plant
: in fleece as this lets it breath.
:
: I would like advice please on should I block up the 4 or 9 tiny
: holes
: originally put in the bag by the manufacturer (so as to help keep
: the cold
: out) or will that interfere with any necessary air flow to the
: plants?
:
: also should I stand the clay pots directly on to the concrete patio
: slabs or
: should I insulate the post from the slabs with a piece of wood,
: please?
:
: Standing on wood or polystyreen is a good idea. make sure you don't
: block the drainage holes.
:
: thanking you for any advice.
: yours john west
:
: Jenny
:
I stand them on terracotta pot feet or an upturned plant saucer, but small
pieces of wood would do the trick.