Old 16-10-2003, 08:03 AM
john west++++

Default insulating pots from the cold weather

hi, we have two potted plants I wish to protect from the frost on a patio at
the rear of the house.

my plan is to put two large clear plastic bags right over the plants and
pots.

I would like advice please on should I block up the 4 or 9 tiny holes
originally put in the bag by the manufacturer (so as to help keep the cold
out) or will that interfere with any necessary air flow to the plants?

also should I stand the clay pots directly on to the concrete patio slabs or
should I insulate the post from the slabs with a piece of wood, please?

thanking you for any advice.

yours john west

Old 16-10-2003, 08:32 AM
JennyC

"john west++++" wrote in message
news
hi, we have two potted plants I wish to protect from the frost on a
patio at
the rear of the house.

What type of plants are they John ? They might not be suitabkle to
stay out at all!

my plan is to put two large clear plastic bags right over the plants

and
pots.

Bad idea John as the plants will 'sweat' and that will freez. Better
to wrap the pot in bubble plastic to keep the cold out. Wrap the plant
in fleece as this lets it breath.

I would like advice please on should I block up the 4 or 9 tiny

holes
originally put in the bag by the manufacturer (so as to help keep

the cold
out) or will that interfere with any necessary air flow to the

plants?

also should I stand the clay pots directly on to the concrete patio

slabs or
should I insulate the post from the slabs with a piece of wood,

please?

Standing on wood or polystyreen is a good idea. make sure you don't
block the drainage holes.

thanking you for any advice.
yours john west

Jenny

Old 16-10-2003, 10:42 AM

"JennyC" wrote in message
:
: "john west++++" wrote in message
: news : hi, we have two potted plants I wish to protect from the frost on a
: patio at
: the rear of the house.
:
[...]
I stand them on terracotta pot feet or an upturned plant saucer, but small
pieces of wood would do the trick.