Old 16-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Theo Asir

Default Cooler Climes--I'm Officially Envious

They are wonderfull arn't they.
Prairie Harvest, Pearlie Mae and Winter Sunset are
absolutely covered in these delicate gold colored blooms.

In summer they would bleach so quickly
but not right now.

Having watched my sisters garden in Hayward Bayarea
I can say that some of the performance has to do with
the entire season cycle the roses go through.

The heat of summer and Dormancy of winter does
help performance. My spring flushes still surprise
my sister cos she never sees such coordinated
out pouring of blooms.

Also they help with disease control. Seems like
my sister is forever battling mildew and rust in
her garden.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7e3d9b1cf0df5b25d92c4cdc40b5bd27 @1066259203.cotse.net...
The roses are putting on a gorgeous display,
each and every variety showing the prettiest colors
of the year due to the coolness. Such clear vibrance!
I had to cut some--Rio Samba, Tradescant, and Tropical
Sunset in a vase with some Mutabilis buds--really
pretty. Though Mutabilis is not a cutting rose, (too
delicate, and a single) the buds are lovely, showing a
mix of orange and raspberry sherbetty swirls like
Granada in the cool weather.

If I could have roses like this, I could almost
imagine putting up with living in a part of California
that stays pretty much in the 50s-70s all year.

Almost ... but not quite. G