Old 16-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Shiva

Default Cooler Climes--I'm Officially Envious

The roses are putting on a gorgeous display,
each and every variety showing the prettiest colors
of the year due to the coolness. Such clear vibrance!
I had to cut some--Rio Samba, Tradescant, and Tropical
Sunset in a vase with some Mutabilis buds--really
pretty. Though Mutabilis is not a cutting rose, (too
delicate, and a single) the buds are lovely, showing a
mix of orange and raspberry sherbetty swirls like
Granada in the cool weather.

If I could have roses like this, I could almost
imagine putting up with living in a part of California
that stays pretty much in the 50s-70s all year.

Almost ... but not quite. G

Old 16-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Theo Asir

They are wonderfull arn't they.
Prairie Harvest, Pearlie Mae and Winter Sunset are
absolutely covered in these delicate gold colored blooms.

In summer they would bleach so quickly
but not right now.

Having watched my sisters garden in Hayward Bayarea
I can say that some of the performance has to do with
the entire season cycle the roses go through.

The heat of summer and Dormancy of winter does
help performance. My spring flushes still surprise
my sister cos she never sees such coordinated
out pouring of blooms.

Also they help with disease control. Seems like
my sister is forever battling mildew and rust in
her garden.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7e3d9b1cf0df5b25d92c4cdc40b5bd27 @1066259203.cotse.net...

Old 17-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Shiva

Theo Asir wrote:

They are wonderfull arn't they.
Prairie Harvest, Pearlie Mae and Winter Sunset are
absolutely covered in these delicate gold colored blooms.

In summer they would bleach so quickly
but not right now.

Theo, have you given Distant Drums a try? It has a Buck Rose parent.

Old 17-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Theo Asir

Distant Drums is a Buck rose. I've seen
a Heirloom hybrid Distant Thunder that
uses it as parent.

I've considered it. Unfortunately it is not
very vigorous unless grafted around here
and you know how I feel about grafted's.

On the other hand the color and scent are
quite unique. Part of the problem is I wouldn't
know where to put it. My Mongrel bed is all full up too.

Something about this rose has
bothered me for some time now.
At the Reiman garden in Iowa they have a
Distant Drums that does not appear grafted.
It is a large 6 ft bush with pinkish yellow blooms
with a slight old rose scent. Now this is not the
rose I have seen in nurseries. One of the two
has to be a forgery.

Knowing Bucks winnowing techniques it
seems incredible that the weak grafted variety
in nurseries survived. This is the only one of his
many roses that has to coddled this way.
Now I could be talking through my hat
but something does not smell right here.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.0776c4b42ff766c2d3e0b72e5c280680 @1066406715.cotse.net...

Old 20-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Theo Asir

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.a65dbeabc14c0abc5a314d4f9f876424 @1066670029.cotse.net...
Theo Asir wrote:

Distant Drums is a Buck rose.

Duh, I knew that, I don't know why I put it that
way. What I meant was that he used one of his roses
as a parent and an Austin as the other. I imagine
some of his roses have no Buck rose parents at all!

I've seen
a Heirloom hybrid Distant Thunder that
uses it as parent.

Hmm ... is it pretty? Distinctive like DD?
Round and bushy and floriferous?! It might
have to go on next year's list!

I've heard some good things about it.
It supposedly has similar color with improved vigor
on it own roots and in blooming. Bushy 3' high.
Its in heirlooms catalogue as (CLEstormy #SH710)

I've considered it. Unfortunately it is not
very vigorous unless grafted around here
and you know how I feel about grafted's.

Well, you are talking to the right woman
for a little Zone 7 field test, as I have
one grafted and two Roses Unlimited own roots.
I cannot tell how they will do in your zone,
but I can make a comparison next spring to tell
you how the two types do in the same context!
I am off grafted roses myself after my adventures
with bare roots this year. All my own roots did
fine and look great.

Do let me know.

On the other hand the color and scent are
quite unique. Part of the problem is I wouldn't
know where to put it. My Mongrel bed is all full up too.

Do you mean because of the colors, or because of space alone?
Theo I am so esthetically unevolved that I have really just begun
to look at the way the colors go together. I have my DDs in a front
sunny bed on a backdrop of good mauves like Royal Amethyst.
Nearby are Mutabilis, which blends the mauves and peachy tones,
and some other yummy yellow blends that come out peachy. I love the
cool and warm tones together, I find.

Both. Space is at a premium here. I only
have space for another 20-25 roses and this
is in non prime areas. We don't have fences so the
landscaping has to blend well. A riot of clashing colors
is hard on the eyes and probably affects the
property value :-

Something about this rose has
bothered me for some time now.
At the Reiman garden in Iowa they have a
Distant Drums that does not appear grafted.
It is a large 6 ft bush with pinkish yellow blooms
with a slight old rose scent. Now this is not the
rose I have seen in nurseries. One of the two
has to be a forgery.

NO WAY is that DD! Cool mauve outer petals, tan inner.
Very distinct. Sometimes the tan is a bit peachy, but
the mauve is never pink here, and it fades toa ghosty
looking lavendar.

That the way I figured too. But remember many
many buck roses were lost and friends and admirers
provided cutting from the "Original" bush that buck
himself had handed around. They were quite meticulous in
not acquiring stuff from commerce.

Knowing Bucks winnowing techniques it
seems incredible that the weak grafted variety
in nurseries survived. This is the only one of his
many roses that has to coddled this way.
Now I could be talking through my hat
but something does not smell right here.

You lost me. What is winnowing and how does it
effect the roses?

(laugh) This one reminds me of Madden asking "whats a vixen?" Monday night
Football.

Winnowing is seperating the grain from the chaff the process
all rose breeders use to select from among the 1000's of roses
they breed each year.

Bucks idea was to plant them out there and let them
fend for themselves through disease, cold, drought, heat, etc.

I can't imagine how DD survived.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 21-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Shiva

Theo Asir wrote:

[about Distant Thunder]

I've heard some good things about it.
It supposedly has similar color with improved vigor
on it own roots and in blooming. Bushy 3' high.
Its in heirlooms catalogue as (CLEstormy #SH710)

I like both names, and tend to like Buck roses,
however, no more Heirloom roses or Vintage roses
for me. Too small and too expensive. Not to mention
that some roses ought not to be grown on their
own roots. Take Angel Wings for example ... PLEASE!
If I had taken time lapse photos over the past three
years, bet you couldn't see any difference. It just
does ... not ... GROW!

[re DD ownroot and grafted comparison]

Do let me know.

Will do!

On the other hand the color and scent are

Space is at a premium here. I only
have space for another 20-25 roses and this
is in non prime areas. We don't have fences so the
landscaping has to blend well. A riot of clashing colors
is hard on the eyes and probably affects the
property value :-

Hee. Bet our definitions of "clash" are different. Do you
at least like some contrasting colors? Like, for example,
Rio Samba and Tradescant? Yummy yum, I tell you!

NO WAY is that DD!

That the way I figured too. But remember many
many buck roses were lost and friends and admirers
provided cutting from the "Original" bush that buck
himself had handed around. They were quite meticulous in
not acquiring stuff from commerce.

Yes, I had heard that, but this rose is KNOWN for the
lavender/tan thing, you know? I would tell the garden
people about it.

You lost me. What is winnowing and how does it
effect the roses?

(laugh) This one reminds me of Madden asking "whats a vixen?" Monday night
Football.

Oh, man. WINNOWING. I knew that ... I think ... but my brain had
it that you were talking about some advanced rose breeding
technique! Hee!

Bucks idea was to plant them out there and let them
fend for themselves through disease, cold, drought, heat, etc.

I can't imagine how DD survived.

I'm so glad it did!