Old 16-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Epsom salts

Hi Samuel.

I've been mulling over a question from Roger Seamon on public bonsai
collection maintenance for over a day... but your message I can respond to
more readily.
You ask re' Epsom salt,
... use only to correct chlorosis (or can it also
prevent it)? Can it be mixed with Miracle-Gro?

If your chlorosis is chronic, I think you need trace elements of magnesium
and iron which Mir-Acid (same company) has but Miracle-Gro might lack. Too
much salt can't be good, but the magnesium in Epsom salts allows a tree to
use the iron which is available to it. Steve Pilacek once recommended to my
club that a bonsai with chlorosis receive water at a rate of 1 Tablespoon of
Epsom salt for a 2 gallon container once a week for four weeks. Then, he
recommended offering iron to cure chlorosis after the last Epsom salt
treatment. His presentation was on black pines, but his recipe did wonders
for a 3" diameter juniper that was rapidly yellowing. Lots of folks rotate
fertilizer using Miracle-Gro & Mir-Acid along with others to assure feeding
trace elements.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: