Old 16-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Samuel Gomez

Default [IBC] Epsom salts

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures of a bouganvillea wich was
undergoing some chlorosis. Jim suggested to use epsom salts to correct this.
Epsom salts are used only to correct chlorosis or can be used also to
prevent it? Can it be mixed with Miracle-Gro? And if it can be used with
the fertilizer, how often should it be used? Jim suggested to use it just
twice during summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-10-2003, 08:02 PM
rschmitt23

For what it's worth, my coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) became chlorotic a
few months ago. Three treatments of half-strength Schultz Iron Green (1/2
teaspoon per gallon) spaced at two week intervals cured the problem. It's 15-0-0
liquid fertilizer with 4% sulfur and 6% water soluble iron. That may be a little
too much nitrogen for this late in the year. If you use it on your boug, let me
know how it responds. I have a boug sitting right next to my CLO. It's doing OK
so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Later
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b
AHS Heat Zone 4
Sunset Climate Zone 22

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures of a bouganvillea wich was
undergoing some chlorosis. Jim suggested to use epsom salts to correct this.
Epsom salts are used only to correct chlorosis or can be used also to
prevent it? Can it be mixed with Miracle-Gro? And if it can be used with
the fertilizer, how often should it be used? Jim suggested to use it just
twice during summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Brent Walston

At 12:03 PM 10/16/03 -0600, Samuel wrote:
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures of a bouganvillea wich was
undergoing some chlorosis. Jim suggested to use epsom salts to correct this.
Epsom salts are used only to correct chlorosis or can be used also to
prevent it? Can it be mixed with Miracle-Gro? And if it can be used with
the fertilizer, how often should it be used? Jim suggested to use it just
twice during summer.

Samuel

Epsom salts will help with chlorosis if it is caused by a magnesium
deficiency. Ordinarily, a good soluble with minor and trace elements will
contain enough Mg for most plants. Additional Mg also has the interesting
effect of making foliage more glaucous (bluish).

I wouldn't add it with fertilizer, but rather as a separate treatment.
Adding anything to a fertilizer solution can cause unwanted precipitation,
mostly of phosphorus salts.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Samuel.

I've been mulling over a question from Roger Seamon on public bonsai
collection maintenance for over a day... but your message I can respond to
more readily.
You ask re' Epsom salt,
... use only to correct chlorosis (or can it also
prevent it)? Can it be mixed with Miracle-Gro?

If your chlorosis is chronic, I think you need trace elements of magnesium
and iron which Mir-Acid (same company) has but Miracle-Gro might lack. Too
much salt can't be good, but the magnesium in Epsom salts allows a tree to
use the iron which is available to it. Steve Pilacek once recommended to my
club that a bonsai with chlorosis receive water at a rate of 1 Tablespoon of
Epsom salt for a 2 gallon container once a week for four weeks. Then, he
recommended offering iron to cure chlorosis after the last Epsom salt
treatment. His presentation was on black pines, but his recipe did wonders
for a 3" diameter juniper that was rapidly yellowing. Lots of folks rotate
fertilizer using Miracle-Gro & Mir-Acid along with others to assure feeding
trace elements.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA

Old 16-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Samuel Gomez

First of all, want to thank XChris, Brent and Ray for their kind suggestions.

The bougi I was talking about can be found at

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...ast=1065336845

Jean-Christophe catalogued this chlorosis as a serious one, and Pipo
suggested that Jim's suggestion could work since the chlorosis appeared on
mature leaves.

Ray wrote:

For what it's worth, my coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) became chlorotic a
few months ago. Three treatments of half-strength Schultz Iron Green (1/2
teaspoon per gallon) spaced at two week intervals cured the problem. It's
15-0-0
liquid fertilizer with 4% sulfur and 6% water soluble iron. That may be a
little
too much nitrogen for this late in the year. If you use it on your boug,
let me
know how it responds. I have a boug sitting right next to my CLO. It's
doing OK
so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

When I first noticed some chlorosis I used Liquid Miracle Gro with chelated
iron (8-7-6) but it did not work. Guess the problem was not lack of iron
but of magnesium.

Brent wrote:

Epsom salts will help with chlorosis if it is caused by a magnesium
deficiency.

From Jim's and Pipo's posts to the gallery, this seems to be the problem.

Ordinarily, a good soluble with minor and trace elements will
contain enough Mg for most plants.

Normally I use Miracle Gro. Guess I will use also Miracid as suggested
below, but first I will try to correct the problem.

Additional Mg also has the interesting
effect of making foliage more glaucous (bluish).

Is this good for bougies?

Adding anything to a fertilizer solution can cause unwanted precipitation,
mostly of phosphorus salts.

Sorry for this question but.. is this precipitation poisonous to the tree?

Chris wrote:

If your chlorosis is chronic,

I have little experience with chlorosis, but According to Jean-Christophe
this is a serious one.

I think you need trace elements of magnesium
and iron which Mir-Acid (same company) has but Miracle-Gro might lack. Too
much salt can't be good, but the magnesium in Epsom salts allows a tree to
use the iron which is available to it. Steve Pilacek once recommended to my
club that a bonsai with chlorosis receive water at a rate of 1 Tablespoon of
Epsom salt for a 2 gallon container once a week for four weeks. Then, he
recommended offering iron to cure chlorosis after the last Epsom salt
treatment. His presentation was on black pines, but his recipe did wonders
for a 3" diameter juniper that was rapidly yellowing. Lots of folks rotate
fertilizer using Miracle-Gro & Mir-Acid along with others to assure feeding
trace elements.

Great!! Thanks for such valuable information. I will try it.

Best wishes

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Justin Diaz

Speaking of fertilizers and trace elements and the like, (i realize
they're all different), what are some thoughts about Superthrive? I've
heard some outrageous claims, should i believe the hype?
thanks,

Justin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Laurie Smith

I have been using SuperThrive in all of my non-flowering houseplants this summer. My plants grew twice the leave they had before SuperThrive and they look so healthy, including my 10 foot ficus tree is fuller than it ever has been with very little leaf dr
op.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-10-2003, 04:02 AM
rschmitt23

Superthrive contains about 0.1% vitamin B-1 (you can smell the stuff when you
open the bottle and the odor lingers on your skin if you're messy like I am),
and about 0.05% 1-napthayl acetic acid (NAA), a root hormone (synthetic auxin),
plus, I suppose, other secret ingredients. NAA is also found in Dip 'n Grow
liquid rooting concentrate (0.5%) and in Rootone (0.2%). Dip'n Grow also
contains 1% indole-3 butyric acid (IBA), another rooting hormone. I use the Dip
'n Grow carefully on my cuttings because the stuff is really concentrated.

I limit my use of Superthrive to stressed plants. As an experiment, last Labor
Day weekend I ruthlessly hard pruned and root pruned a pyracantha (completely
removed the foliage and berries), a xylosma, a euryops and a cotoneaster and
repotted them in 5" x 7"x 3.5" deep mica bonsai pots. The potting medium is (1)
Turface MVP, (1) Oil-Dri, (1) Supersoil potting mix, and (1) redwood compost,
all sieved +12/-4.

I used full strength Superthrive on these victims once per week. So far the
pyracantha is backbudding nicely, the euryops has a bunch of it's daisy-like
blooms going, and the other two plants look normal for this time of year. So, is
it the Superthrive? Who knows.

Later
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b
AHS Heat Zone 4
Sunset Climate Zone 22

Old 17-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo

HI I use it since 15 years regularly and all seems ok
I read also negative comments .. but how can we judge at home as all plants and
soils are different
I use it as an extra garantee.. it does not harm anyway and my pines maples azaleas
and orchids ar well ..
Theo

Old 17-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Nick Robin

For what it's worth, I live about 300 yards away from Epsom Well, which is
where the first batch of Epsom salts came from!!
(But the gov. built a housing estate on top of it so it doesn't exist any
more!- Just a small dummy well!)

Regards
Nick Rôbin
07747 635301

.................................................. .

Old 18-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Theo

what are Epsom salts made of ?
Thanks
Theo

Nick Robin wrote:

For what it's worth, I live about 300 yards away from Epsom Well, which is
where the first batch of Epsom salts came from!!
(But the gov. built a housing estate on top of it so it doesn't exist any
more!- Just a small dummy well!)

Regards
Nick Rôbin
07747 635301

.................................................. ..........................

Old 18-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Samuel Gomez

Hi all,

At the beginning I thought I could find this in a drugstore. Thought it
could be some sort of medicine.
After searching in the net, I found it was heptahidrated magnesium sulfate,
which is available from any reagent dealer (even from a local one), and not
too expensive.

Best wishes to you all.

At 09:57 18/10/2003 +0200, Theo wrote:
what are Epsom salts made of ?
Thanks
Theo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Brent Walston

At 02:47 PM 10/18/03 -0600, you wrote:
Hi all,

At the beginning I thought I could find this in a drugstore. Thought it
could be some sort of medicine.
After searching in the net, I found it was heptahidrated magnesium sulfate,
which is available from any reagent dealer (even from a local one), and not
too expensive.

Samuel

It is available at any drugstore. It is used as a solution for soaking your
feet and probably other interesting remedies. It is very inexpensive buying
it that way (USP vs. reagent grade).

Old 20-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Nick Robin

I would assume they are an ancient deposit of minerals on the site of the
current spring water, giving a liquid saline solution!
I could be wrong though!

Regards
Nick Rôbin
07747 635301

.................................................. .

Brent wrote:

Epsom salts will help with chlorosis if it is caused by a magnesium
deficiency.

From Jim's and Pipo's posts to the gallery, this seems to be the

problem.

--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

****

epsom salts victory ed Roses 1 28-04-2004 08:04 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM