Old 16-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Joe Doe

Default Cedar Elm sick?

In article , Rusty Mase
wrote:

Neither show any signs of oak wilt. I think I will get rid of both
and start over with one Burr Oak.

Rusty

I do not know if you are choosing the Bur Oak because of its presumed
resistance to oak wilt etc. or for some other reason. I bought a place
last year that had one young Bur Oak in very good condition (puts on 2-3
feet of growth per year) and one doing miserably. They were both
supposed to have been planted at the same time by the previous owner. The
one doing badly, has a few malformed twigs for branches and dropped all
its leaves in mid September last year and repeated the same thing this
year (the second the weather changed from hot to cool). I had presumed
that the one that was doing badly had simply been neglected because it was
in the back yard. Now I am beginning to worry that the poor condition
might reflect something systemic. This tree had a fair number of beetles
crawling over it in summer (both last year and this). So based on my
limited sample size, Bur oaks seem a little less bulletproof than the are
made out to be.

Roland