Old 14-10-2003, 01:22 PM
torresd

Default Cedar Elm sick?

Mine, small tree, cedar elm about 1.5" diameter trunk, about 7' tall, leaves
all crispy and orangish - purple. Any ideas?

Old 14-10-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:13:31 GMT, "torresd" opined:

Mine, small tree, cedar elm about 1.5" diameter trunk, about 7' tall, leaves
all crispy and orangish - purple. Any ideas?

It could have rust, but now is about the time the foliage starts to decline, so
it may be the natural defoliation process. If you are concerned, bring a leaf
in to a garden center like The Natural Gardener, Gardens, Park Place or The
Great Outdoors.
Old 15-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Babberney

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:41:35 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:13:31 GMT, "torresd" opined:

Mine, small tree, cedar elm about 1.5" diameter trunk, about 7' tall, leaves
all crispy and orangish - purple. Any ideas?

It could have rust, but now is about the time the foliage starts to decline, so
it may be the natural defoliation process. If you are concerned, bring a leaf
in to a garden center like The Natural Gardener, Gardens, Park Place or The
Great Outdoors.

Considering the recent moisture we've had, might also be anthracnose.
To be safe, collect and dispose of leaves to reduce incidence next
year.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 16-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Babberney

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:56 -0500, Rusty Mase
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:08:28 GMT,
(Babberney) wrote:

Considering the recent moisture we've had, might also be anthracnose.
To be safe, collect and dispose of leaves to reduce incidence next
year.

What does this look like? I have a Lacey Oak that has developed some
sort of truck fungus (?) that has grotesquely distorted the trunk and
the tree is going to die. It started with a rust-like appearance on
the leaves (I think) several years ago.

Rusty Mase

Depends on the tree. Diff species are affected by diff fungi.
Generally, dying inward from the margins. A tree would have to be
pretty severely stressed by other factors to be killed by anthracnose,
if I understand things correctly.

Why do you say your tree is going to die? And how sure are you that
the distorted trunk is related?

Is is possible that the distortion resulted from a guy wire being left
on the tree? If girdled, a trunk will often swell and try to grow
around the obstruction. At the same time, the tree's ability to get
water and nutrients from the roots to the crown would be compromised,
so decline is likely.

You might be surprised by your ability to diagnose this problem by a
google search (species name--latin better--and obvious symptoms).
Plenty of lists out there that describe common species and the most
likely problems they'll encounter.

good luck,

Old 16-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Joe Doe

In article , Rusty Mase
wrote:

Neither show any signs of oak wilt. I think I will get rid of both
and start over with one Burr Oak.

Rusty

I do not know if you are choosing the Bur Oak because of its presumed
resistance to oak wilt etc. or for some other reason. I bought a place
last year that had one young Bur Oak in very good condition (puts on 2-3
feet of growth per year) and one doing miserably. They were both
supposed to have been planted at the same time by the previous owner. The
one doing badly, has a few malformed twigs for branches and dropped all
its leaves in mid September last year and repeated the same thing this
year (the second the weather changed from hot to cool). I had presumed
that the one that was doing badly had simply been neglected because it was
in the back yard. Now I am beginning to worry that the poor condition
might reflect something systemic. This tree had a fair number of beetles
crawling over it in summer (both last year and this). So based on my
limited sample size, Bur oaks seem a little less bulletproof than the are
made out to be.

Roland
Old 20-10-2003, 01:32 PM
torresd

What is "rust" ??

wrote:

[...]

likely culprit for never a Rock Elm seed anymore is Dutch Elm Disease Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 1 05-09-2009 11:19 AM
Rock-Elm and Siberian-Elm; slow growth = stronger wood? a_plutonium Plant Science 2 04-05-2007 08:24 AM
Ulmus thomasii, cork elm or rock elm [email protected] Plant Science 3 25-10-2005 08:09 PM
cedar elm Therasa Texas 4 23-09-2004 11:57 PM
Cedar Elm leaves dry and orange Fite4peace Texas 0 14-09-2003 05:04 AM