Old 16-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Samuel Gomez

Default [IBC] Epsom salts

First of all, want to thank XChris, Brent and Ray for their kind suggestions.

The bougi I was talking about can be found at

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...ast=1065336845

Jean-Christophe catalogued this chlorosis as a serious one, and Pipo
suggested that Jim's suggestion could work since the chlorosis appeared on
mature leaves.

Ray wrote:

For what it's worth, my coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) became chlorotic a
few months ago. Three treatments of half-strength Schultz Iron Green (1/2
teaspoon per gallon) spaced at two week intervals cured the problem. It's
15-0-0
liquid fertilizer with 4% sulfur and 6% water soluble iron. That may be a
little
too much nitrogen for this late in the year. If you use it on your boug,
let me
know how it responds. I have a boug sitting right next to my CLO. It's
doing OK
so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

When I first noticed some chlorosis I used Liquid Miracle Gro with chelated
iron (8-7-6) but it did not work. Guess the problem was not lack of iron
but of magnesium.

Brent wrote:

Epsom salts will help with chlorosis if it is caused by a magnesium
deficiency.

From Jim's and Pipo's posts to the gallery, this seems to be the problem.

Ordinarily, a good soluble with minor and trace elements will
contain enough Mg for most plants.

Normally I use Miracle Gro. Guess I will use also Miracid as suggested
below, but first I will try to correct the problem.

Additional Mg also has the interesting
effect of making foliage more glaucous (bluish).

Is this good for bougies?

Adding anything to a fertilizer solution can cause unwanted precipitation,
mostly of phosphorus salts.

Sorry for this question but.. is this precipitation poisonous to the tree?

Chris wrote:

If your chlorosis is chronic,

I have little experience with chlorosis, but According to Jean-Christophe
this is a serious one.

I think you need trace elements of magnesium
and iron which Mir-Acid (same company) has but Miracle-Gro might lack. Too
much salt can't be good, but the magnesium in Epsom salts allows a tree to
use the iron which is available to it. Steve Pilacek once recommended to my
club that a bonsai with chlorosis receive water at a rate of 1 Tablespoon of
Epsom salt for a 2 gallon container once a week for four weeks. Then, he
recommended offering iron to cure chlorosis after the last Epsom salt
treatment. His presentation was on black pines, but his recipe did wonders
for a 3" diameter juniper that was rapidly yellowing. Lots of folks rotate
fertilizer using Miracle-Gro & Mir-Acid along with others to assure feeding
trace elements.

Great!! Thanks for such valuable information. I will try it.

Best wishes

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++