Old 17-10-2003, 04:02 AM
rschmitt23

Default [IBC] Epsom salts

Superthrive contains about 0.1% vitamin B-1 (you can smell the stuff when you
open the bottle and the odor lingers on your skin if you're messy like I am),
and about 0.05% 1-napthayl acetic acid (NAA), a root hormone (synthetic auxin),
plus, I suppose, other secret ingredients. NAA is also found in Dip 'n Grow
liquid rooting concentrate (0.5%) and in Rootone (0.2%). Dip'n Grow also
contains 1% indole-3 butyric acid (IBA), another rooting hormone. I use the Dip
'n Grow carefully on my cuttings because the stuff is really concentrated.

I limit my use of Superthrive to stressed plants. As an experiment, last Labor
Day weekend I ruthlessly hard pruned and root pruned a pyracantha (completely
removed the foliage and berries), a xylosma, a euryops and a cotoneaster and
repotted them in 5" x 7"x 3.5" deep mica bonsai pots. The potting medium is (1)
Turface MVP, (1) Oil-Dri, (1) Supersoil potting mix, and (1) redwood compost,
all sieved +12/-4.

I used full strength Superthrive on these victims once per week. So far the
pyracantha is backbudding nicely, the euryops has a bunch of it's daisy-like
blooms going, and the other two plants look normal for this time of year. So, is
it the Superthrive? Who knows.

Later
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b