Old 17-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Phillip K. Duncan

Default To John re. Pond Lighting

John:

Sorry I missed your post. I don't check into rec.ponds all that often.
I tried to reply directly to your e-mail, but it bounced back.

I'm not sure how much more detail I can give to be helpful, but here goes.
I wish I had taken a picture I could send you.

My 9 x 5 foot pond is circled by three strings of 50 white Christmas

lights
that come in clear plastic tubes. Water can only get in at the

connectors,
which I sealed together with acquarium cement. I then placed them under

the
ring of rocks on the edge of the pond so that they aren't readily visible,
but still are exposed to the water. Actually, they are just at the water
line (depending on evaporation), with some above and some under the water
line. It looks good either way.

It's surprising how much light these strings provide, and it's fairly
subtle. Since the lights ring the pond, the lights provide a consistent
glow into the water all the way around, getting darker, of course, the
farther in from the edge the water is.

I suppose you could even put the ring of lights on the bottom (weights

might
have to be added, since the air in the tubes would otherwise make them
float), but I like the surface level lighting and the source being

somewhat
hidden better.

Hope this helps.

Phil