Old 17-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Phillip K. Duncan

Default To John re. Pond Lighting

John:

Sorry I missed your post. I don't check into rec.ponds all that often.
I tried to reply directly to your e-mail, but it bounced back.

I'm not sure how much more detail I can give to be helpful, but here goes.
I wish I had taken a picture I could send you.

My 9 x 5 foot pond is circled by three strings of 50 white Christmas

lights
that come in clear plastic tubes. Water can only get in at the

connectors,
which I sealed together with acquarium cement. I then placed them under

the
ring of rocks on the edge of the pond so that they aren't readily visible,
but still are exposed to the water. Actually, they are just at the water
line (depending on evaporation), with some above and some under the water
line. It looks good either way.

It's surprising how much light these strings provide, and it's fairly
subtle. Since the lights ring the pond, the lights provide a consistent
glow into the water all the way around, getting darker, of course, the
farther in from the edge the water is.

I suppose you could even put the ring of lights on the bottom (weights

might
have to be added, since the air in the tubes would otherwise make them
float), but I like the surface level lighting and the source being

somewhat
hidden better.

Hope this helps.

Phil

_

Old 18-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Gareee©

Just a sidenote.. some of these light strings have holes in the plastic
"string" that the lights are enclosed in..... if they do, of course you
don't wanna submerge them.

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 19-10-2003, 01:12 AM
John Burton

Are these the "light ropes" you find in 'most any hardware store this time
of year??

I have one 20w light at one end of my 11'x16' pond now, and would like to
add a bit more esthetically pleasing lights. If I can't find success with
this type of lighting I'll simply add one more 20w at the other end and a
smallish 7w inside the waterfall.

All these lights are controlled not by a timer or light sensor, but simply a
switch on the deck overlooking the pond. That way the pond isn't lit for
predators when noone's on the deck.

Thanks!

--

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia