Old 18-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Zizz

Default gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you

I've heard it said that when you move to a new garden, you shouldn't touch
it for a year and wait and see what comes up. This would particularly

apply
at this time of year when things are dying down. You may have for instance

fantastic display of spring bulbs, digging them up now would not be the

best
idea. Just tidy as necessary and see what comes.

Anyway, in a new house you're probably going to be quite busy anyway, no?

Steve

Yes I've heard the 'wait a year' before, though it's not just to see what
comes up in the garden. It's also to find out the position of the sun in the
garden at different times of year as something that is in shade all day in
winter maybe in full sun most of the day in summer!
As to the original post all the suggestions made are very worthwhile, I'd
suggest looking at some books on plants as well as it's not always plant
labels or garden assistants know the growing conditions of plants you're
interested in (sometimes the plants aren't too sure themselves!).