Old 17-10-2003, 11:02 AM
amanda

Default gardening

Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you
Old 17-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Alan Gould

In article , amanda
writes
Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you

Don't be in a hurry Amanda - take your time getting to know your garden,
and letting it get to know you. Have a good tidy up, take off any
unwanted top herbage and begin a compost heap with it. Next spring, make
an early start (mid.Feb) with seeding or buying in plants recommended by
others in this group. Meantime, have a look at the urg. FAQ for new
gardeners at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html

best wishes
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Spider

I can't disagree in the slightest with Alan's response. However, to answer
your basic question, autumn is an excellent time for planting but as a
general rule of thumb, if you have a light soil autumn planting is great for
all things hardy and many bulbs; if you have a heavy soil, it is much safer
to wait until spring.

It's a good idea to visit the garden centre/local nursery every month to see
what's looking good. Also peer into local gardens and talk to neighbouring
gardeners.

If you can't wait to buy those lovely plants, why not start a small
collection of container plantings. Many will mature to go in the ground
later, giving you a head start on both stock and experience.
Spider

Old 17-10-2003, 11:22 PM
shazzbat

"amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you

I've heard it said that when you move to a new garden, you shouldn't touch
it for a year and wait and see what comes up. This would particularly apply
at this time of year when things are dying down. You may have for instance a
fantastic display of spring bulbs, digging them up now would not be the best
idea. Just tidy as necessary and see what comes.

Anyway, in a new house you're probably going to be quite busy anyway, no?

Steve

Old 18-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Zizz

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"amanda" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you

I've heard it said that when you move to a new garden, you shouldn't touch
it for a year and wait and see what comes up. This would particularly

apply
at this time of year when things are dying down. You may have for instance

fantastic display of spring bulbs, digging them up now would not be the

best
idea. Just tidy as necessary and see what comes.

Anyway, in a new house you're probably going to be quite busy anyway, no?

Steve

Yes I've heard the 'wait a year' before, though it's not just to see what
comes up in the garden. It's also to find out the position of the sun in the
garden at different times of year as something that is in shade all day in
winter maybe in full sun most of the day in summer!
As to the original post all the suggestions made are very worthwhile, I'd
suggest looking at some books on plants as well as it's not always plant
labels or garden assistants know the growing conditions of plants you're
interested in (sometimes the plants aren't too sure themselves!).

Old 18-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Location: eltham

Amand i have also just moved house and have a big garden which i have been drawn into.yes it is best to wait and see what comes up to try and re use and mix colours that count to you and look good ,use easly maintainable plants i.e mediteranean ,and reading paul.