Old 19-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Scott Coburn

Default wintering a maple tree in a flower pot

Hello,

I have a one year old maple tree in a flower pot. I rescued
this tree from my gutters, placing it into the pot with the
material from the gutter. It survived the transfer very
well and is now about 30cm tall.

The tree has been out in our side yard, in the sun, for most
of the summer. The question is: what should I do with it for
the winter? I am worried that the roots will be too exposed
to the cold, being that they are not buried in the ground.
Should I bring it in the house?

The tree is located on Long Island, New York. The winters
are fairly mild here. If it survives the winter I am planning
to plant it in the ground next spring/summer.

Scott