Old 19-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Scott Coburn

Default wintering a maple tree in a flower pot

Hello,

I have a one year old maple tree in a flower pot. I rescued
this tree from my gutters, placing it into the pot with the
material from the gutter. It survived the transfer very
well and is now about 30cm tall.

The tree has been out in our side yard, in the sun, for most
of the summer. The question is: what should I do with it for
the winter? I am worried that the roots will be too exposed
to the cold, being that they are not buried in the ground.
Should I bring it in the house?

The tree is located on Long Island, New York. The winters
are fairly mild here. If it survives the winter I am planning
to plant it in the ground next spring/summer.

Scott
Old 19-10-2003, 03:12 AM

my Japanese maple does just fine all winter in zone 5 in a big pot out of the wind
and out of the sun. if you are worried, dig the pot in a sheltered position. Ingrid

"Scott Coburn" wrote:

Hello,

I have a one year old maple tree in a flower pot. I rescued
this tree from my gutters, placing it into the pot with the
material from the gutter. It survived the transfer very
well and is now about 30cm tall.

The tree has been out in our side yard, in the sun, for most
of the summer. The question is: what should I do with it for
the winter? I am worried that the roots will be too exposed
to the cold, being that they are not buried in the ground.
Should I bring it in the house?

The tree is located on Long Island, New York. The winters
are fairly mild here. If it survives the winter I am planning
to plant it in the ground next spring/summer.

Scott

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-10-2003, 06:02 AM
SaintDan

I grew a Maple tree in a large pot for about 3 years. I live in the Metro
Detroit area of Michigan and our winters on average go down to 0 - 10 degree
F. All I basically did was put the pot in the winter time was keep it out
of the wind and sun and right next to the house. My only problem was a just
grew like a weed and after the 1 summer I had to cut the top off when it
reached 6 feet. I finally planted it in a friend's yard and it continued
it's grow to a height of about 15 feet with two trunks forming a V..

Dan

news

Old 22-10-2003, 08:12 AM
dstvns

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:03:13 GMT, "Scott Coburn"
wrote:

I have a one year old maple tree in a flower pot. I rescued
this tree from my gutters, placing it into the pot with the
material from the gutter. It survived the transfer very
well and is now about 30cm tall.

If this ONE-YEAR old maple is already 30cm tall, all bets are it's a
norway maple, a weed in the northeast on the same level as kudzu in
the south. If the leaves are very pointy and over 6-12 inches wide
(normal native maple leaves are small, 3-5 inches), and are mostly
turning yellow (native maples are mostly bright red), then please
remove it. Pull out all the other ones in your yard, too (I'm
positive theres several...dozens even), and then find a native sugar
maple and take care of that one. Or an oak seedling, but they have
deep taproots.

Dan