Old 19-10-2003, 06:02 AM
SaintDan

Default wintering a maple tree in a flower pot

I grew a Maple tree in a large pot for about 3 years. I live in the Metro
Detroit area of Michigan and our winters on average go down to 0 - 10 degree
F. All I basically did was put the pot in the winter time was keep it out
of the wind and sun and right next to the house. My only problem was a just
grew like a weed and after the 1 summer I had to cut the top off when it
reached 6 feet. I finally planted it in a friend's yard and it continued
it's grow to a height of about 15 feet with two trunks forming a V..

Dan

"Scott Coburn" wrote in message
news

Hello,

I have a one year old maple tree in a flower pot. I rescued
this tree from my gutters, placing it into the pot with the
material from the gutter. It survived the transfer very
well and is now about 30cm tall.

The tree has been out in our side yard, in the sun, for most
of the summer. The question is: what should I do with it for
the winter? I am worried that the roots will be too exposed
to the cold, being that they are not buried in the ground.
Should I bring it in the house?

The tree is located on Long Island, New York. The winters
are fairly mild here. If it survives the winter I am planning
to plant it in the ground next spring/summer.

Scott