Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Eucalyptus Tree Cuttings.

"Ray" wrote in message
My first posting to the group:

I am completely ignorant on gardening matters, but wish to learn.

So-- I wish to grow a eucalyptus tree from cuttings. How should I start

and
when. I have never taken a cutting in my life, so please respnd in detail
and be kind:-)

Have you got a Eucalyptus growing in N Yorks?
If so, where?
I am in Wensleydale, just outside Hawes.
Would it make the grade here?

Eucalyptus is usually grown from seed, not cuttings.
However, here is how I would set about it:

Take approx 4 to 6 inch cuttings of new growth.
Trim them just at (below) a node
Remove most of the leaves, leaving about 4 at the growing end.
Dip the cut tips in a rooting hormone and, if in powder form, shake off the
excess.
Insert in cuttings/potting compost.
Enclose all in a transparent plastic bag to keep the atmosphere moist.
Put it in a window sill
Wait.

My fee for this information is 3 freshly cut eucalyptus cuttings.

Franz