Old 19-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Ray

Default Eucalyptus Tree Cuttings.

My first posting to the group:

I am completely ignorant on gardening matters, but wish to learn.

So-- I wish to grow a eucalyptus tree from cuttings. How should I start and
when. I have never taken a cutting in my life, so please respnd in detail
and be kind:-)

Location:- N. Yorks.

Old 19-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim W

Ray wrote:

My first posting to the group:

I am completely ignorant on gardening matters, but wish to learn.

So-- I wish to grow a eucalyptus tree from cuttings. How should I start and
when. I have never taken a cutting in my life, so please respnd in detail
and be kind:-)

Welcome Ray,

You've asked a good'un as Eucalyptus are rarely (almost never)
propagated from cuttings to my knowledge.. Seed is the most ususal
method of gettting new Eucalyptus trees as far as I know.

try searching the archives of this group at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=uk...O-8859-1&hl=en
for past information and discussions on Eucalyptus

you may also find. http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk useful.

I found http://www.australiaplants.com
which is Michael Gillespie's site very useful and Michael himself is
very helpful and knowledgeable about Eucalypts.

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/eucalypt.html

is also good.

Here in London I have 4 different Eucalyptus species, all of them
'slower' growing ones if such a thing can be said about Eucalypts.

//
Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 19-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Ray

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g32vhk.ho5bs6i7wpm0N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Ray wrote:

[...]

Many thanks Jim,

Trust me to start with something difficult!

I'll have a look at the links you kindly provided.

Cheers,

Ray

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Ray" wrote in message
My first posting to the group:

I am completely ignorant on gardening matters, but wish to learn.

So-- I wish to grow a eucalyptus tree from cuttings. How should I start

and
when. I have never taken a cutting in my life, so please respnd in detail
and be kind:-)

Have you got a Eucalyptus growing in N Yorks?
If so, where?
I am in Wensleydale, just outside Hawes.
Would it make the grade here?

Eucalyptus is usually grown from seed, not cuttings.
However, here is how I would set about it:

Take approx 4 to 6 inch cuttings of new growth.
Trim them just at (below) a node
Remove most of the leaves, leaving about 4 at the growing end.
Dip the cut tips in a rooting hormone and, if in powder form, shake off the
excess.
Insert in cuttings/potting compost.
Enclose all in a transparent plastic bag to keep the atmosphere moist.
Put it in a window sill
Wait.

My fee for this information is 3 freshly cut eucalyptus cuttings.

Franz

Old 19-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Jim W

Ray wrote:

[...]

Not really difficult just one of those things..

Eucs are very easy to grow once growing,, very fast, very very tough as
a general rule.. We coppiced ours this year and they are regrowing
fine!

//
Jim

Old 20-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
My first posting to the group:

Have you got a Eucalyptus growing in N Yorks?
If so, where?
I am in Wensleydale, just outside Hawes.
Would it make the grade here?

Eucalyptus is usually grown from seed, not cuttings.
However, here is how I would set about it:

Take approx 4 to 6 inch cuttings of new growth.
Trim them just at (below) a node
Remove most of the leaves, leaving about 4 at the growing end.
Dip the cut tips in a rooting hormone and, if in powder form, shake off

the
excess.
Insert in cuttings/potting compost.
Enclose all in a transparent plastic bag to keep the atmosphere moist.
Put it in a window sill
Wait.

My fee for this information is 3 freshly cut eucalyptus cuttings.

Franz

Jims advice is better! you can not as far as I am aware strike eucs from
cuttings (someone will no doubt have done it on this group!) and as far as
growing further north they are amongst that group of plants that the colder
the location of the plant producing the seed the more likely they are to
survive cold. there is a place high up in wales that supplies both plants
and seeds, it has established a large range of possible species you could
try.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g34mno.e9z0021qyumogN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Sacha wrote:

in article , Franz Heymann at
wrote on 19/10/03 2:50 pm:

"Ray" wrote in message
My first posting to the group:

I am completely ignorant on gardening matters, but wish to learn.

So-- I wish to grow a eucalyptus tree from cuttings. How should I

start
and
when. I have never taken a cutting in my life, so please respnd in

detail
and be kind:-)

Have you got a Eucalyptus growing in N Yorks?
If so, where?
I am in Wensleydale, just outside Hawes.
Would it make the grade here?

snip

Talk to the Eucalyptus nursery in Wales. The website has been given on

here
many times. They grow theirs in hard conditions in the Welsh mountains

so
they will certainly be able to inform you.

Yep,
http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk (formerly Celyn Vale) is the place.
Get the catalogue as well as it is more or less a complete 'miniguide'
to Eucs in the UK

They do Acacia as well and can advise which ones are likley to be
hardiest in which parts of UK (we covered this is a previous thread)

I have had a look at that URL. It is an excellent compendium of knowledge
on Eucalypts.

Franz