Old 20-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Eucalyptus Tree Cuttings.

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
My first posting to the group:

Have you got a Eucalyptus growing in N Yorks?
If so, where?
I am in Wensleydale, just outside Hawes.
Would it make the grade here?

Eucalyptus is usually grown from seed, not cuttings.
However, here is how I would set about it:

Take approx 4 to 6 inch cuttings of new growth.
Trim them just at (below) a node
Remove most of the leaves, leaving about 4 at the growing end.
Dip the cut tips in a rooting hormone and, if in powder form, shake off

the
excess.
Insert in cuttings/potting compost.
Enclose all in a transparent plastic bag to keep the atmosphere moist.
Put it in a window sill
Wait.

My fee for this information is 3 freshly cut eucalyptus cuttings.

Franz

Jims advice is better! you can not as far as I am aware strike eucs from
cuttings (someone will no doubt have done it on this group!) and as far as
growing further north they are amongst that group of plants that the colder
the location of the plant producing the seed the more likely they are to
survive cold. there is a place high up in wales that supplies both plants
and seeds, it has established a large range of possible species you could
try.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk