Old 20-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

Default How Big of Image for Plant ID?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:42:48 -0400, Lily
wrote:

I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA

I realize this doesn't directly address your question, but if you have
a scanner, you can make *terrific* images of leaves and small flowers.
I've done this laying the items directly on the glass, but am now
thinking, in the interest of not having to clean it afterward, a clear
plastic sheet wouldn't significantly interfere with the scan.

As for image size (by number of bytes), for those of us with dial-up
connections, a 5Mb high-rez photo is an exercise in tedium. Many
photo-manipulation applications will allow you to use JPEG compression
to significantly reduce the number of bytes, with relatively little
loss of detail or color. Even the 'Paint' accessory program that comes
with Windows can 'resize' an overlarge image, although not in a
particularly sophisticated fashion.