Old 19-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Lily

Default How Big of Image for Plant ID?

Hi,
I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA
Old 19-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Babberney

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:42:48 -0400, Lily
wrote:

Hi,
I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA

You'll do better with three small shots than one big one usually.
Take a whole-plant distant shot, a close-up of a twig and leaves. and
one more of anything that seems distinctive about the plant right now.
Depending on season, you could add a shot of the flowers and/or fruit,
for example, or some plants are readily identified by bark/stem
photos.
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 19-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim W

Lily wrote:

Hi,
I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA

not bigger than 640 X 480 at 72dpi.

half that size should be adequate
//

Old 20-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't you think that it would make better sense to ask the question at
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens?

Anyway, the larger the image size does not increase your chances of correct
ID. Its whether your image is clear and shows the proper characters for
identification, especially the flowers as well as the rest of the plant. An
image of a single leaf would be worthless for ID regardless of how large it
is.

Old 20-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA

I realize this doesn't directly address your question, but if you have
a scanner, you can make *terrific* images of leaves and small flowers.
I've done this laying the items directly on the glass, but am now
thinking, in the interest of not having to clean it afterward, a clear
plastic sheet wouldn't significantly interfere with the scan.

As for image size (by number of bytes), for those of us with dial-up
connections, a 5Mb high-rez photo is an exercise in tedium. Many
photo-manipulation applications will allow you to use JPEG compression
to significantly reduce the number of bytes, with relatively little
loss of detail or color. Even the 'Paint' accessory program that comes
with Windows can 'resize' an overlarge image, although not in a
particularly sophisticated fashion.

Old 20-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Jim W

wrote:

I have an image of a plant I would like help identifying. I will post
at alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. What is the best image size to do
this? TIA

I realize this doesn't directly address your question, but if you have
a scanner, you can make *terrific* images of leaves and small flowers.
I've done this laying the items directly on the glass, but am now
thinking, in the interest of not having to clean it afterward, a clear
plastic sheet wouldn't significantly interfere with the scan.

Good advice and more tips can be found at:
http://www.scantips.com/

//
Jim