Old 20-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

Default naturalizing newbie in east hampton new york

On 19 Oct 2003 10:18:42 -0700, (ninadora) wrote:

anyways, i want a yard --my aunt has one in east hampton and she has
agreed to let me naturalize some bulbs...its a bit late but i'm gonna
do it.

1. i would like to do 1,000 bulbs in one day, is this too ambitious
for two overweight amataur fans of flowers?

Yes. But is this some sort of endurance contest? What's to prevent you
from planting as many as possible in one day, and following up with
more sessions?

2. i have read of soil augers, bulb naturalizers that are foot
operated, and steel pipes (not going there) does anyone have
experience with these tools?

I have and have used a 'bulb planter' -- a manual tool that digs and
extracts a plug of soil, which is certainly easier than digging with a
trowel, assuming a relatively soft soil without tree roots. There is a
long-handled version of this tool constructed to use foot power (one
version he

http://www.shepherdseeds.com/984798-product.html

You're *still* going to have to bend over the plant the bulb, so it's
not an automatic process. I haven't used one of those, but am willing
to believe it makes the job easier. I am suspicious (with no
experience) about "power" augers that attach to "any electric drill,"
sensing a lot of burned-out motors and snapping auger shafts in
difficult-to-dig areas.

3....

Newsgroup threads (and attention spans) tend to wander. It is often
better to post 2 or 3 msgs with a single question than one with
several topics. :-)