Old 19-10-2003, 06:22 PM
ninadora

Default naturalizing newbie in east hampton new york

i live in manhatten and have been bit-- i swear to god so painfully by
the gardening bug, you should see my illegal north facing fire escape
garden.

anyways, i want a yard --my aunt has one in east hampton and she has
agreed to let me naturalize some bulbs...its a bit late but i'm gonna
do it.

1. i would like to do 1,000 bulbs in one day, is this too ambitious
for two overweight amataur fans of flowers?

2. i have read of soil augers, bulb naturalizers that are foot
operated, and steel pipes (not going there) does anyone have
experience with these tools?

3. i will be planting woodland bulbs like aconite,star of bethlaham
and scilla siberica...i am worried about the soil when i get
there..this is simply a patch of decidouous (sp?) wooded area is
there any advice for things to look out for or bulb types etc?

4. if planting these types of bulbs is it neccessary to first dig a
bed and ammend the soil, if it is not clay?

I will also be planting small daffodils and oxalis at the edge of the
lawn, in a sunnier site,

i am planning on digging beds and loading in many many bulbs with some
bulb fertalizer. again any personal experience would really help, i
have read quite a bit on the subgect, but i have not actually been
there to check out the soil, i'm simply praying it will be decent for
bulbs.

5. finally can anyone reccommend their favorite on line or mail order
source for bulbs

thanks for your time, nina
Old 19-10-2003, 08:32 PM
David J Bockman

"ninadora" wrote in message
om...

1. i would like to do 1,000 bulbs in one day, is this too ambitious
for two overweight amataur fans of flowers?

Yes.

2. i have read of soil augers, bulb naturalizers that are foot
operated, and steel pipes (not going there) does anyone have
experience with these tools?

Yes. The easiest method for large naturalized plantings is to lay down a
large sheet of playwood near where you wish to plant. With a flat edged
shovel or spade, remove the surface soil for the entire area in which you
will be planting and toss it onto the plywood. After sufficient soil has
been removed, place your bulbs in a 'naturalistic' fashion (no regimented
rows). Throw the soil back on and you're done.

For larger bulbs that require deeper planting, a tulip planter, small hand
mattock, or dibble works well.

3. i will be planting woodland bulbs like aconite,star of bethlaham
and scilla siberica...i am worried about the soil when i get
there..this is simply a patch of decidouous (sp?) wooded area is
there any advice for things to look out for or bulb types etc?

Just be aware that digging near certain types of trees can be hard work
(Silver Maple, for example, or other surface root-spreading types of trees).

4. if planting these types of bulbs is it neccessary to first dig a
bed and ammend the soil, if it is not clay?

Nope. Soak the Winter Aconite's bulbs in water overnight prior to planting.
I would top dress with as mch organic material as is humanely possible to
improve clay conditions if they exist.

5. finally can anyone reccommend their favorite on line or mail order
source for bulbs

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com

Dave

Old 20-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

On 19 Oct 2003 10:18:42 -0700, (ninadora) wrote:

anyways, i want a yard --my aunt has one in east hampton and she has
agreed to let me naturalize some bulbs...its a bit late but i'm gonna
do it.

1. i would like to do 1,000 bulbs in one day, is this too ambitious
for two overweight amataur fans of flowers?

Yes. But is this some sort of endurance contest? What's to prevent you
from planting as many as possible in one day, and following up with
more sessions?

2. i have read of soil augers, bulb naturalizers that are foot
operated, and steel pipes (not going there) does anyone have
experience with these tools?

I have and have used a 'bulb planter' -- a manual tool that digs and
extracts a plug of soil, which is certainly easier than digging with a
trowel, assuming a relatively soft soil without tree roots. There is a
long-handled version of this tool constructed to use foot power (one
version he

http://www.shepherdseeds.com/984798-product.html

You're *still* going to have to bend over the plant the bulb, so it's
not an automatic process. I haven't used one of those, but am willing
to believe it makes the job easier. I am suspicious (with no
experience) about "power" augers that attach to "any electric drill,"
sensing a lot of burned-out motors and snapping auger shafts in
difficult-to-dig areas.

3....

Newsgroup threads (and attention spans) tend to wander. It is often
better to post 2 or 3 msgs with a single question than one with
several topics. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Naturalizing Bulbs in grassy area Larry Gagnon United Kingdom 3 16-11-2007 09:30 AM
Naturalizing Orchids... Toni Orchids 13 24-04-2005 12:58 AM
Hyacinths in New York Polar Gardening 4 25-03-2003 05:20 PM
Roses and New York City Raulman Roses 1 29-01-2003 03:41 PM
Old-Growth "War of Words" in New York Times Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 20-12-2002 02:50 PM