Old 20-10-2003, 01:02 PM
TheScullster

Default Bare Root Stock - Good or Bad?

From the Newbie of all Newbies

I am looking to plant a hedge in the near future and understand that this is
about the time to plant bare root stock type plants! Do I need to wait
longer?

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

My preparation has been, or will be as follows:

Dig in muchroom compost (done)
Add pelletted chicken manure (done)
Dig smallish hole for plants and add a compost and bone meal mix (to do at
planting time)
Water in well.
Water on weekly basis if no rain.

Any comments on the above would be massively appreciated.

TIA

Phil