Old 20-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

Default Bare Root Stock - Good or Bad?

In article 1g34wpn.wyqsvx1lmrxh7N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
TheScullster wrote:

From the Newbie of all Newbies

I am looking to plant a hedge in the near future and understand that this is
about the time to plant bare root stock type plants! Do I need to wait
longer?

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

Laurel has big leaves that look tatty if cut through when cutting with
shears. If you want to trim with shears or hedgetrimmer rather than
secateurs, you might consider some alternative.

Pyracantha are viciously spiny, the rest are not. Non-spiny hedges are
friendlier to cut but not quite such a barrier.

If you want to add some native plants into the mix (attract more
birdlife) and don't mind spines, try a bit of holly (both male and
female required for berries), blackthorn, wild rose. You could also try
Rosa rugosa - this is the one with wrinkled leaves and big single
flowers followed by big hips which is often used for hedging.

My preparation has been, or will be as follows:

Dig in muchroom compost (done)
Add pelletted chicken manure (done)
Dig smallish hole for plants and add a compost and bone meal mix (to do at
planting time)
Water in well.
Water on weekly basis if no rain.

Any comments on the above would be massively appreciated.

Yep thats about right, not during frosty weather, remember to firm in
well (boot heel)
http://www.hedging.co.uk/ is well worth a look, the catalogue may
help you choose your plants too. OK prices for retail as well.
//
Jim

--
Kay Easton