Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Default Kousa dogwood and sun

Stuart E. Weiner wrote:
I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

I'm in zone 5 as well, and my Kousa dogwood gets full afternoon sun.
The backyard faces east and has mature deciduous trees, so it's shady in
the morning. The front yard faces west, and there's a street that makes
a T in front of my house, so full sun all afternoon. The kousa is in
the front, in the strip between my driveway and the neighbor's house to
the south. So lots of sun, no adverse effects.