Old 18-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Stuart E. Weiner

Default Kousa dogwood and sun

I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

Thanks.
Old 18-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Travis

Stuart E. Weiner wrote:
I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my
front yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly
full sun. As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the
back yard, which also get considerable sun but faces north.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

My Kousa does just fine in full sun.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 18-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:31:33 -0400, Stuart E. Weiner wrote:

I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

Thanks.

Full sun is fine, go for it! I love Kousas!
Old 18-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 05:31:33 GMT, "Stuart E. Weiner"
wrote:

I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

Thanks.

They are not at all too picky. They like to be on the edge of a
wooded area where they are partially protected but grow more upright
in full overhead sun. They will do better with more sun than less
sun. Dogwoods tend to be subject to disease and it helps to keep
mulch around them to help avoid weed trimmers and mowers from damaging
the trunk.
Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 AM

Kousa dogwoods are not reliably hardy in the colder parts of zone 5. I am next to
the lake and temps are moderated. My Kousa faces east and gets full sun for 1/2 of
the day and does extremely well. I dont know if it would do well in full sun all
day. I would go for a sunburst locust in that location. INgrid

"Stuart E. Weiner" wrote:

I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Stuart E. Weiner wrote:
I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front
yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun
requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun.
As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also
get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and
advice.

I'm in zone 5 as well, and my Kousa dogwood gets full afternoon sun.
The backyard faces east and has mature deciduous trees, so it's shady in
the morning. The front yard faces west, and there's a street that makes
a T in front of my house, so full sun all afternoon. The kousa is in
the front, in the strip between my driveway and the neighbor's house to
the south. So lots of sun, no adverse effects.