Old 21-10-2003, 03:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Consciousness raising

Last December, while on a missions trip from Lakewood Church trip in
Houston to El Salvador, one of our assignment days was to climb up a
mountain due north of La Libertad, El Salvador (and it was an incline of
10 to 15 degrees in spots) and we went to the top to a village of
Penecostals. They didn't know we were coming due to an unexpected change
of plans that day. The village was coffee bean growers. We saw burros,
jackasses and donkeys loaded down with 60 # bags of green coffee beans
(yes, I tasted the beans to see - bitter). I don;t rightly recall the
exact they got per each 60# bag, but it was nothing. Say a dollar at
most. ( I think it was $.75 or so but can't remember) That appalled me.
These were people who were grateful to receive a bar of soap from a
Holiday Inn. Or toothpaste that was outdated. Or used clothing with a
hole or two in it. You get the picture. =

Frogleg wrote:

Lobby for fair coffee prices, or for laws designed to regulate
child labor in foreign countries.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal