Old 21-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Shiva

Default Cooler Climes--I'm Officially Envious

Theo Asir wrote:

[about Distant Thunder]

I've heard some good things about it.
It supposedly has similar color with improved vigor
on it own roots and in blooming. Bushy 3' high.
Its in heirlooms catalogue as (CLEstormy #SH710)

I like both names, and tend to like Buck roses,
however, no more Heirloom roses or Vintage roses
for me. Too small and too expensive. Not to mention
that some roses ought not to be grown on their
own roots. Take Angel Wings for example ... PLEASE!
If I had taken time lapse photos over the past three
years, bet you couldn't see any difference. It just
does ... not ... GROW!

[re DD ownroot and grafted comparison]

Do let me know.

Will do!

On the other hand the color and scent are

Space is at a premium here. I only
have space for another 20-25 roses and this
is in non prime areas. We don't have fences so the
landscaping has to blend well. A riot of clashing colors
is hard on the eyes and probably affects the
property value :-

Hee. Bet our definitions of "clash" are different. Do you
at least like some contrasting colors? Like, for example,
Rio Samba and Tradescant? Yummy yum, I tell you!

NO WAY is that DD!

That the way I figured too. But remember many
many buck roses were lost and friends and admirers
provided cutting from the "Original" bush that buck
himself had handed around. They were quite meticulous in
not acquiring stuff from commerce.

Yes, I had heard that, but this rose is KNOWN for the
lavender/tan thing, you know? I would tell the garden
people about it.

You lost me. What is winnowing and how does it
effect the roses?

(laugh) This one reminds me of Madden asking "whats a vixen?" Monday night
Football.

Oh, man. WINNOWING. I knew that ... I think ... but my brain had
it that you were talking about some advanced rose breeding
technique! Hee!

Bucks idea was to plant them out there and let them
fend for themselves through disease, cold, drought, heat, etc.

I can't imagine how DD survived.

I'm so glad it did!