Old 21-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Kay Easton

Default Eucomis bicolor - overwintering

In article , K
writes
I grew 2 in a pot and they have been beautiful but are looking a bit sorry
for themselves now. Should I cut them back, or leave them to die back
naturally. I've taken them into my shed, but will they need more protection
when the frosts hit.

They'll die back naturally - first the flower stems, then the leaves. If
you give a gentle tug when they're yellowish, if they're ready they'll
come off easily. I reckon it's better to pull than to cut - you'll get a
cleaner break, and less likelihood of winter mould.

As to protection, I don't know. Mine are in the greenhouse, which is
frost free, and usually 40 deg plus at least in daytime. I had a glut of
them a few years ago and tried some outdoors - they lasted a couple of
years.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: