Old 21-10-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Eucomis bicolor - overwintering

I grew 2 in a pot and they have been beautiful but are looking a bit sorry
for themselves now. Should I cut them back, or leave them to die back
naturally. I've taken them into my shed, but will they need more protection
when the frosts hit.

in SW London

Old 21-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , K
writes
I grew 2 in a pot and they have been beautiful but are looking a bit sorry
for themselves now. Should I cut them back, or leave them to die back
naturally. I've taken them into my shed, but will they need more protection
when the frosts hit.

They'll die back naturally - first the flower stems, then the leaves. If
you give a gentle tug when they're yellowish, if they're ready they'll
come off easily. I reckon it's better to pull than to cut - you'll get a
cleaner break, and less likelihood of winter mould.

As to protection, I don't know. Mine are in the greenhouse, which is
frost free, and usually 40 deg plus at least in daytime. I had a glut of
them a few years ago and tried some outdoors - they lasted a couple of
years.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message

As to protection, I don't know. Mine are in the greenhouse, which is
frost free, and usually 40 deg plus at least in daytime. I had a glut of
them a few years ago and tried some outdoors - they lasted a couple of
years.

I know one gardener around here that does not dig his up for the winter so
I'm not going to disturb mine either. :-)
His seed around too! (so he says)

p.s. my 8ft+ Dahlia imperialis (thanks Hill House Nursery) took last nights
frost without problem much to my surprise so you can never tell. All the
Dahlias down the allotments died back because of frost a couple of weeks
ago. I leave them in too year after year.(planted deep)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 22-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , K at
wrote on 21/10/03 12:39 pm:

I grew 2 in a pot and they have been beautiful but are looking a bit

sorry
for themselves now. Should I cut them back, or leave them to die back
naturally. I've taken them into my shed, but will they need more

protection
when the frosts hit.

in SW London

Does your shed usually get frosted? If not, they should be okay. If it
does, you could invest in one of those little heaters that has a

thermostat
to be kept at just above the freezing level.
Leave them to die back naturally. Keep them only *just* moist over

winter -
never allow them to be soaked or to stand in water.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

"K" If its any help my in the ground ones are always fine and in the pots I
just put the pots on their sides to stop waterlogging I wouldn't think you
get much more frost than we do (so long as the bulbs don't freeze they seem
fine)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-10-2003, 11:02 AM

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "Kay wrote in message
:
: As to protection, I don't know. Mine are in the greenhouse, which is
: frost free, and usually 40 deg plus at least in daytime. I had a glut of
: them a few years ago and tried some outdoors - they lasted a couple of
: years.
:
: I know one gardener around here that does not dig his up for the winter so
: I'm not going to disturb mine either. :-)
: His seed around too! (so he says)
:
: p.s. my 8ft+ Dahlia imperialis (thanks Hill House Nursery) took last
nights
: frost without problem much to my surprise so you can never tell. All the
: Dahlias down the allotments died back because of frost a couple of weeks
: ago. I leave them in too year after year.(planted deep)
:
: --
: Regards
: Bob
:
: Use a useful Screen Saver...
: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
: and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.
:
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm in Twickenham, not a million miles
from you Bob, so as it's now on the floor of the shed with other things I've
brought it, I think I'll leave it there unheated for the winter. I was also
interested in the seeds, so think I might see if they will propagate.

I was expecting frost last night but was delighted to hear it raining during
the night. Best time for it, and the garden is looking better already this
morning. Hooray :O))

Old 22-10-2003, 12:42 PM
JennyC

"K"
I was also interested in the seeds, so think I might see if they will

propagate.

I find they germinate very well, but take a few years to reach
flowering age
Jenny

Old 22-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"K" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm in Twickenham, not a million

miles
from you Bob, so as it's now on the floor of the shed with other things

I've
brought it, I think I'll leave it there unheated for the winter. I was

also
interested in the seeds, so think I might see if they will propagate.

Twickers eh? Just down the road/river.

Take care leaving them unprotected in a shed, they might get even colder
than in the ground/pot and will also have to cope with greater temperature
changes, certainly they will dry out more.
Put them in some damp (only just) sand or similar.

Old 22-10-2003, 06:23 PM

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
[...]
I didn't make myself clear. They are still in their pot and I have wrapped
some fleece and bubble wrap round the pot.

Old 23-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message after me.........
p.s. my 8ft+ Dahlia imperialis (thanks Hill House Nursery) took last

nights
frost without problem much to my surprise so you can never tell. All the
Dahlias down the allotments died back because of frost a couple of weeks
ago. I leave them in too year after year.(planted deep)

Ray planted one of these outside last year but the winter got it, I'm
afraid. I imagine that at 8 feet yours hasn't flowered yet, though? Our
indoor ones have to have their heads poking through the roof of the big
double greenhouse before they do that! ;-)

This one and the cutting I gave a friend stayed outside in the ground all
last winter and survived, both now at about 8 ft and both have survived the
recent frosts that have killed other tender plants on our allotment nearby.
We both planted them deeply and in sheltered spots.
They do look very tropical with their big leaves, especially when they grow
more than one trunk, but , as you say and told me when you and Ray gave it
to me, unlikely to flower outside in the UK due to the short season. My
homemade lean-to greenhouse is only 7ft tall and Ray said it needed about
18ft so no point in trying to flower it in there either, besides which it's
always full of plants anyway as you would expect. :-)

Old 23-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Sacha

in article , Bob Hobden at
wrote on 23/10/03 4:49 pm:

[...]

Build more greenhouses!! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

[...]

Unless we buy the bottom of someone's garden, and we have asked, there is no
space....... Unless I build a floating one on the pond, now there's an

Eucomis comoso Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 20-07-2008 02:51 AM
Eucomis autumnalis - Pine Apple Lily Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 13-07-2007 04:41 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Eucomis bicolor K United Kingdom 4 03-03-2003 06:24 PM
Eucomis Bicolour - From seed Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 12:42 AM