Old 21-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Mums in NJ - will they come back?

I like mums to be a little leggy - you can cut them for the house then! and
they look a little wilder too which fits in my style of gardening!

Cheryl
On 10/21/03 2:53 PM, in article
, "Burp" wrote:

I live in new jersey and they are fine. I think the key is a good amount of
mulch to keep thing moist, don't think it is so much warmth. Really, think
about it, is two or three inches of leaves going to keep the ground any
warmer when it is 20 degrees.

My question is for the email below.
I made the mistake of not cutting back the mums in the spring. Some people
say if you don't you get no flowers but I think it is really to keep them
nice and tight without falling over. I didn't trim mine back and there way
too large falling over.

I thought that you cut them to the ground in April. then half what ever size
they are on July 4th. Buds or no buds.

Weezyde wrote in message

I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at =
the store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, =
and they should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out =
in March/April because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??
thanks
CAtherine

I have had Mums for 13yrs. at my present home. If you want them to spread,

you
trim them back on April 1st, May 1st, and if there are no flower buds

present,
on June 1st. also. I have many different colors and styles of Mums and

without
much care they come back every year. Most of them are covered in a bank of

snow
in the winter.

Good Luck,
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)