Old 19-10-2003, 07:02 PM
news.bellatlantic.net

Default Mums in NJ - will they come back?

I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at the store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, and they should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out in March/April because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??
thanks
CAtherine
Old 19-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/19/03 1:56 PM, in article ,
"news.bellatlantic.net" wrote:

I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at the
store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, and they
should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out in March/April
because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??
thanks
CAtherine

I have had mixed luck with fall planted mums * some do return, others donąt.
By April, you should be able tell if the plant over wintered. My success
rate is about 40% here in NH.
Cheryl

Old 20-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Jay Chan

Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out in March/April because
they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??

The mum that I planted in front yard has come back fine. I also see
that mum in my neighbors' yards also come back for the years that I
have lived in this are (northern New Jersey).

... and the guy at the store told me to trim them in the spring
through till early summer, and they should come back.

I believe the idea is to prevent it to become too leggy. Otherwise,
the top half loaded with flowers with become too heavy and will fall
to the floor. I start trimming mine this year, and it surely looks
bushy than what it was last year.

Hope yours will do OK.

Jay Chan
Old 20-10-2003, 03:02 AM
B & J

You should have torn the roots apart at the bottom when you plant them in the ground and watered them in well, but since it's too late for that now, just before the ground freezes later this fall, cover the plants with a layer of leaves or pine needles (6" - 8") and anchor the leaves or needles in place with chicken wire or something similar that will keep them from blowing away. The extra cover should help them survive.

John
Old 20-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Weezyde

I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at =
the store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, =
and they should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out =
in March/April because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??
thanks
CAtherine

I have had Mums for 13yrs. at my present home. If you want them to spread, you
trim them back on April 1st, May 1st, and if there are no flower buds present,
on June 1st. also. I have many different colors and styles of Mums and without
much care they come back every year. Most of them are covered in a bank of snow
in the winter.

Good Luck,
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)

Old 20-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Beecrofter

--

Plant hardy mums as early as possible so that they get some roots
established if you want them to return the following year. Late
Old 21-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Burp

I live in new jersey and they are fine. I think the key is a good amount of
mulch to keep thing moist, don't think it is so much warmth. Really, think
about it, is two or three inches of leaves going to keep the ground any
warmer when it is 20 degrees.

My question is for the email below.
I made the mistake of not cutting back the mums in the spring. Some people
say if you don't you get no flowers but I think it is really to keep them
nice and tight without falling over. I didn't trim mine back and there way
too large falling over.

I thought that you cut them to the ground in April. then half what ever size
they are on July 4th. Buds or no buds.

Old 21-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I like mums to be a little leggy - you can cut them for the house then! and
they look a little wilder too which fits in my style of gardening!

Cheryl

Old 22-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Weezyde

My question is for the email below.
I made the mistake of not cutting back the mums in the spring. Some people
say if you don't you get no flowers but I think it is really to keep them
nice and tight without falling over. I didn't trim mine back and there way
too large falling over.

I thought that you cut them to the ground in April. then half what ever size
they are on July 4th. Buds or no buds.

I was told by a couple friends of mine that used to be the main buyers for the
Frank's Nursery, to trim them if you want them to spread. BTW, my friends are
both originally from N.J. They didn't say to cut them back to the ground. I
just trim them back about 2-3"each time. I've stopped trimmimg my older Mums
because they have spread enough. I've added 3 more Mum plants this year and
will trim only the newly added ones next year.
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Old 22-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Mommy Bartlo

Mommy Bartlo says it's always good to put things into the ground.

I'd like to put my boy JoJo into the ground, here he is

http://www.enter.net/~jbartlo/joseph.htm

xoxoxo
--MommyBartlo--

"Weezyde" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Cutting Mums back Nanzi Gardening 3 23-05-2012 03:34 PM
Pinching back mums zinnia green Gardening 2 25-06-2005 04:16 AM
If You Build It...They Will Come... Benign Vanilla Ponds 31 29-09-2004 10:43 PM
If You Build It...They Will Come... Benign Vanilla Ponds 2 25-09-2004 01:36 AM
Toads: Build it, they will come. Jim and Phyllis Hurley Ponds 4 02-05-2004 01:12 AM