Old 21-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Jim W

Default Cuttings in water

Franz Heymann wrote:

I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot find
a good reference to real experimental results.
Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?

Various aspects I suspect that if you take a good look on the web and
search with suitable scientific terms you may find some research..

You might want to check out things on Hydroponics as well as this is
effectivly what you have once roots are formed.

Various things that would affect cuttings taken this way:

Temp and pH of water.

Light levels

Time of year and or type of growth from and at which cutting is taken
(eg tip, bud, nodal, internodal) as these would affect the amounts of
naturally occuring auxins which enable rooting.

I've found a number of species of fast growing plants root very well in
water as do those that naturally sprout from nodes (such as
Tradescantia, Persicaria etc.) 'Some' passiflora are reputed to do OK
as well.

I've also rooted various things from the canaries (not sure what some
are yet!) and begonia's (the 'cane' type).

There are also those who use solutions etc to stimulate roots (much as
you 'might' with any cutting depending on preferences.

These include propriatary rooting solutions and homemade ones such as
'willow water' etc..

IS it any quicker?.. Possibly, with some species from my experience..
its certainly economic!--)

//
Jim