Old 21-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cuttings in water

I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot find
a good reference to real experimental results.
Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?

Franz

Old 21-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Kate Morgan

I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot find
a good reference to real experimental results.
Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?

I find that Fuchsias are very quick and easy to root in water.

Old 21-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot

find
a good reference to real experimental results.
Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?

I find that Fuchsias are very quick and easy to root in water.

How many weeks do you call "quick"?
I have had six sitting in water for 3 weeks now. They are still
healthy-looking, but show no sign at all yet of rooting.
Am I just too impatient?

Franz

Old 21-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Jim W

Franz Heymann wrote:

I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot find
a good reference to real experimental results.
Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?

Various aspects I suspect that if you take a good look on the web and
search with suitable scientific terms you may find some research..

You might want to check out things on Hydroponics as well as this is
effectivly what you have once roots are formed.

Various things that would affect cuttings taken this way:

Temp and pH of water.

Light levels

Time of year and or type of growth from and at which cutting is taken
(eg tip, bud, nodal, internodal) as these would affect the amounts of
naturally occuring auxins which enable rooting.

I've found a number of species of fast growing plants root very well in
water as do those that naturally sprout from nodes (such as
Tradescantia, Persicaria etc.) 'Some' passiflora are reputed to do OK
as well.

I've also rooted various things from the canaries (not sure what some
are yet!) and begonia's (the 'cane' type).

There are also those who use solutions etc to stimulate roots (much as
you 'might' with any cutting depending on preferences.

These include propriatary rooting solutions and homemade ones such as
'willow water' etc..

IS it any quicker?.. Possibly, with some species from my experience..
its certainly economic!--)

//
Jim
Old 21-10-2003, 11:15 PM

:
: I find that Fuchsias are very quick and easy to root in water.
:
I've had success with those and also tradescantia and African violets.

I don't recall that they were any quicker, but I was fascinated that such an
easy method was successful. I just left them on the kitchen windowsill.

Old 22-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Steve Harris

In article
1g37a5h.bm3dtrgdblzyN%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net,
(Jim W) wrote:

I've also rooted various things from the canaries

How cruel! :-)

Old 22-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim W

(Jim W) wrote:

I've also rooted various things from the canaries

How cruel! :-)

That was a cheep shot;-)
//
Jim
Old 22-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Kate Morgan

: I keep being made aware of folk who root cuttings in water, but cannot
find
: a good reference to real experimental results.
: Is the technique good for only a restricted range of plants?
: Is it any more reliable than rooting cuttings conventionally?
: Is it any quicker than the conventional methods?
:
: I find that Fuchsias are very quick and easy to root in water.
:
I've had success with those and also tradescantia and African violets.

I don't recall that they were any quicker, but I was fascinated that such an
easy method was successful. I just left them on the kitchen windowsill.

Yes that is how I feel about the whole thing,some cuttings took about 3
weeks some didnt take at all.
kate