Old 21-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] What Kind Of Tree...???

Barb Alexander wrote:
WEll, morning everyone, I finally found out what kind of tree it is
that Jim put up the pics for me on the gallery.. it is called
"American Beauty" now what that translates into in latin I have no
idea..

Barb: Jim is right, "American Beauty" alone sounds lke a cultivar
name, but maybe you're not telling us all Did your Master Gardener
neighbor (surely a handy sort of neighbor to have!) perhaps call it
"American Beautyberry"?

That would it well with your description, the purple tiny berrries
being quite distinctive, and it's native to your area. See
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=CAAM2

Callicarpa americana is its Latin name, which you'll find handy for
looking up more info on it, particularly on propagating.

p.s. regarding "all the yopon and honey scukle from around it", I
understand typing too fast, but should you ever want to look up info
on *these* on the Internet, you'll need to type "yaupon" and
honeysuckle"

grow well,
Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++