Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Barb Alexander

Default [IBC] What Kind Of Tree...???

WEll, morning everyone,
I finally found out what kind of tree it is that Jim put up the pics for me on the gallery.. it is called "American Beauty" now what that translates into in latin I have no idea.. I have found that I have a Master Gardner who lives just around the corn
er from me so he is being a great help to me.. just thought I'd let ya'll know what it is.. I went out yesterday and trimmed all the yopon and honey scukle from around it so it can be seen, the little round dark purplr berries it had have srunk and look li
ke raisisn now, so he said to plant them and they should grow.. hope so..
happy Bonsaing to you,
Barb in zone 9 north of Houston , Texas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Lewis

WEll, morning everyone,
I finally found out what kind of tree it is that Jim put up

the pics for me on the gallery.. it is called "American Beauty"
now what that translates into in latin I have no idea.. I have
found that I have a Master Gardner who lives just around the
corner from me so he is being a great help to me.. just thought
I'd let ya'll know what it is.. I went out yesterday and trimmed
all the yopon and honey scukle from around it so it can be seen,
the little round dark purplr berries it had have srunk and look
like raisisn now, so he said to plant them and they should grow..
hope so..
happy Bonsaing to you,
Barb in zone 9 north of Houston , Texas

I don't think that's going to be much help to you.

The classic "American Beauty" of course, is a rose. Yours isn't.
It also isn't American beautybush (Kokwitzia amabilis). There's
nothing else close in MY books. Other books may differ. ;-)

"American beauty" sounds like a trade name for a cultivar of
somethingorother -- something made up by a nurseryman to help
sales. You really need a Genus and species name for anyone to
give you specific help on the shrub as a bonsai.

I think Manzanita is a close guess, as someone suggested on the
gallery. My books agree.

There are Master Gardeners and there are Master Gardeners. They
(we) don't know everything.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Anita Hawkins

Barb Alexander wrote:
WEll, morning everyone, I finally found out what kind of tree it is
that Jim put up the pics for me on the gallery.. it is called
"American Beauty" now what that translates into in latin I have no
idea..

Barb: Jim is right, "American Beauty" alone sounds lke a cultivar
name, but maybe you're not telling us all Did your Master Gardener
neighbor (surely a handy sort of neighbor to have!) perhaps call it
"American Beautyberry"?

That would it well with your description, the purple tiny berrries
being quite distinctive, and it's native to your area. See
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=CAAM2

Callicarpa americana is its Latin name, which you'll find handy for
looking up more info on it, particularly on propagating.

p.s. regarding "all the yopon and honey scukle from around it", I
understand typing too fast, but should you ever want to look up info
on *these* on the Internet, you'll need to type "yaupon" and
honeysuckle"

grow well,
Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Jim Lewis

p.s. regarding "all the yopon and honey scukle from around it",
understand typing too fast, but should you ever want to look up

info
on *these* on the Internet, you'll need to type "yaupon" and
honeysuckle"

Wall, now, y'all need to talk like them Texans. For them it IS
Yopon. ;-)

I dunno about the scukle part. g

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Let us spend
one day as deliberately as Nature, and not be thrown off the
track by every nutshell and mosquito's wing that falls on the
rails. -- Henry David Thoreau