Old 22-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Benny F. Sevilla

Default Buying a cymbidium

My cymbidiums do well here in Pleasant Hill Ca zone 9a USDA or zone 14 wet
side(sunset) - the temperature goes above 100 F.

This year the ones I planted directly on soil are a little confused --- they
are all flowering when they are not supposed to bud until November. The
ones on pots are still on their regular growth pattern.

Incidentally, none of my cymbidiums have been killed by frost yet; but of
course, they are partially shielded by the tree limbs above them.
However, three years ago, the flowers wilted (almost melted) when the
freeze (20's) hit us; still the cyms didn't die.

Benny
"Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
V_coerulea ) wrote:
: Despite what's written about the
: cool requirements, my experience says that other cultural practices are

at
: least as important if not more so than temperature.

My experience agrees with yours. I grow standard cyms outdoors in

California
where it regularly exceeds 100+ F. in the summer and they do fine. Frost,
on the other hand, will kill them deader than a door nail very quickly. A
neighboor down the street from me has a couple of standard cyms on their
front porch that put on a great display of flowers this year as well.

Dave