Old 03-10-2003, 12:42 AM
IiSpankyii

Default Buying a cymbidium

Can anyone recommend someone who sells really nice Cymbidiums? I saw some on
Hausermanns website, but not a very big selection. I prefer the standard size,
maybe green or pink flowers. Appreciate any help.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:23 AM
Wendy

Hi, depending where you are, check these urls.
http://www.sborchid.com/index.php
http://www.cymbidium.org/vendors.html
Cheers Wendy

Old 03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Ray

You do realize that a "standard" cymbidium has substantially different
cultural needs than a mini, right?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
You do realize that a "standard" cymbidium has substantially different
cultural needs than a mini, right?

Could you explain, please? Could I get away with 20-30kLux with a mini?

Geir
Old 03-10-2003, 01:12 PM
IiSpankyii

Thanks Wendy for the info. You have given me lots of sources to check out.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:12 PM
IiSpankyii

Thanks Ray for the info. I know the standards take a lot more room, and have
different cultural needs, but they are so beautiful, I think I might be able
to find some room for one. (If my wife lets me) LOL Anyhow, thanks for the
insight, and if I do get one, I will let you all know what I got and whom I got
it from. Thanks everyone. Terry
Old 03-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Ray

I was mostly referring to the fact that generally, the "standards" prefer it
much brighter AND cooler than most of the miniatures, and are less tolerant
of warm periods. I pay enough to heat the GH in the winter, I'll be damned
if I'm going to air condition it in the summer!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 04-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
I was mostly referring to the fact that generally, the "standards" prefer it
much brighter AND cooler than most of the miniatures, and are less tolerant
of warm periods. I pay enough to heat the GH in the winter, I'll be damned
if I'm going to air condition it in the summer!

Still not for me, then. Low light and low temperatures almost all year
round. 13C outside right now, and snow within two months. Oh, well.

Or - low light isn't exactly right. My blue vanda (strap leaved) has
started folding it new leaves - they just won't open. I have been told
this is because my 250W light source is giving it too much light. I
still couldn't fit a full-sized cymbidium under there without tossing
out all the other ones.

Geir
Old 06-10-2003, 02:22 AM
V_coerulea

Try this site. They sell only cyms. http://www.orquideas.com/ I grow both
large and mini cymbidiums in South Carolina. They spend the summer outside
under the pines until frost threatens. Then they spend the winter in a
minimally heated greenhouse where the temps are kept 40-60 degF. The minis
bloom starting Oct on through Dec/Jan while the full sized ones start in
early Feb and go through early-mid April. Despite what's written about the
cool requirements, my experience says that other cultural practices are at
least as important if not more so than temperature. Now, growing inside,
under lights, that's another story. I have no experience there. Good luck.
Gary

Old 06-10-2003, 03:02 AM
IiSpankyii

Excellent website Gary, thanks for the info. Terry

Old 09-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Dave Sheehy

V_coerulea ) wrote:
: Despite what's written about the
: cool requirements, my experience says that other cultural practices are at
: least as important if not more so than temperature.

My experience agrees with yours. I grow standard cyms outdoors in California
where it regularly exceeds 100+ F. in the summer and they do fine. Frost,
on the other hand, will kill them deader than a door nail very quickly. A
neighboor down the street from me has a couple of standard cyms on their
front porch that put on a great display of flowers this year as well.

Dave

Old 22-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Benny F. Sevilla

My cymbidiums do well here in Pleasant Hill Ca zone 9a USDA or zone 14 wet
side(sunset) - the temperature goes above 100 F.

This year the ones I planted directly on soil are a little confused --- they
are all flowering when they are not supposed to bud until November. The
ones on pots are still on their regular growth pattern.

Incidentally, none of my cymbidiums have been killed by frost yet; but of
course, they are partially shielded by the tree limbs above them.
However, three years ago, the flowers wilted (almost melted) when the
freeze (20's) hit us; still the cyms didn't die.

Benny

Old 23-10-2003, 12:22 AM
profpam

Benny,

Cymbidiums appear to be the hardiest of orchids next to Bletilla. Temps
here in inland southern California vary from 18 degrees to 108 degrees.
I, however, have found it necessary to place my cymbidiums under the
eaves and in then cover them with sheets when temps go below 40 degrees.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 27-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Dave Sheehy

Benny F. Sevilla ) wrote:
: My cymbidiums do well here in Pleasant Hill Ca zone 9a USDA or zone 14 wet
: side(sunset) - the temperature goes above 100 F.

: This year the ones I planted directly on soil are a little confused --- they
: are all flowering when they are not supposed to bud until November. The
: ones on pots are still on their regular growth pattern.

: Incidentally, none of my cymbidiums have been killed by frost yet; but of
: course, they are partially shielded by the tree limbs above them.
: However, three years ago, the flowers wilted (almost melted) when the
: freeze (20's) hit us; still the cyms didn't die.

Mine were at the edge of a covered porch and succumbed to a particularly
hard freeze for our normal climate. I'm in the same zone as you.

Dave