Old 22-10-2003, 09:43 AM
J Jackson

Default Apple Tree Question

: My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has
: produced
: loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get apples
: from
: one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I
: then
: limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?
:
: hard to say deepnds if it was grafted or not. certainly, they can be pruned
: and trained but migt be difficult with a naturally tall variety. MIght be
: better to growa new tree already on dwarfing rootstock.

Also depends on whether it was just down above or below the bud/graft
point. If it's below then you will simply be growing the root stock. If
above (or it was a tree on its own roots - unlikely) then you should be
able select a branch and prune and training accordingly. and you may get a
fair tree. As to keeping it at a reasonable size - that all depends on
what the rootstock is.