Old 22-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Jim W

Default Where to buy mushroom spawn?

Gareth Jones wrote:

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
As I've got a field now, I fancy trying to sow some normal mushrooms in
it. I'm guessing I need Agaricus campestris, but I can't seem to find
anywhere that sells spawn.

No-one does, AFAIK.

I'm sure years ago as a kid I bought some - they were in an overlarge
whitish paper seed packet (the company did two sizes of packs, small for
normal, large for stuff like peas).
Thinking back, I'd guess the spawn was impregnated into some kind of
grain??

The cultivated variety is believed to have been derived from Agaricus
bisporus, which does not grow in grass as a rule.

Are you saying no-one does now, or no-one has ever?

Because the spawn I bought in packets years ago was meant to be planted
in a field or lawn by lifting a spadefull of turf, sprinkling the
'seeds', replacing the turf and voila!
And it worked - had proper 'normal' mushrooms growing in the lawn the
next year.

I find it strange that you can't get this anymore?!?

You can..

http://www.seedsofitaly.sagenet.co.uk/funghi.htm

http://www.cjindustries.co.uk/cg020001.html

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/mag/Ar...ushrooms1.html

http://www.jac-by-the-stowl.co.uk/hf_commercial.htm

http://www.ragmans.co.uk/Shiitake/growing.htm

See also the links on these pages for more information on 'shroom
growing.

//
Jim