Old 22-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default new thread-grwoing media

Hi everyone and happy growing!

Recently I have been doing a lot of reading and thinking both of which can
be dangerous activities. I read a lot about the advantages of growing in
coconut vs. bark. I read a lot about semi-hydroponics culture. I read a
lot about growing on slabs. All seem to have advantages and disadvantages.
How do you determine which is best? What do you consider to be the
advantages vs. the disadvantages?

I really like the aesthetics of orchids that are mounted. I love to water
and find it hard to overwater them. I find I can pack more plants into the
growing space because they are hung as opposed to resting on the benches.
But how to determine which orchids are best for this culture? I haven't
found much written. Some phals, such as Phal venosa, are growing
beautifully on cork. Will all phals benefit from being mounted? How does
one ascertain the benefits of pot culture (either s/h or traditional media)
vs. mounting?

Similarly, if I elect for potting, how does one determine whether to go with
the inert semi-hydroponics vs. other media? Are you out there Ray? I have
found lots of literature regarding differing organic media and
comparing/contrasting bark vs. moss vs. tree fern etc. I have found little
information to help guide me in selecting whether to go organic vs.
semi-hydroponics.

As I have been thinking, again stressing that this is a dangerous habit, it
would seem to me that a consistent system for a collection/greenhouse makes
more sense than having several differing kinds of culture yet as we all know
each orchid has a mind of its own. I would think a more uniform system
would ease watering, fertilizing etc and have fewer opportunities for
errors. If there is a mistake to be made in orchid culture, trust me, I
will find it and make it!

So, these are my thoughts as I contemplate reorganizing my greenhouse and
think about converting to mounts or semi-hydroponics. I am curious what the
group has to say and look forward to learning from you.

Thanks.

Frank