Old 22-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default new thread-grwoing media

Hi everyone and happy growing!

Recently I have been doing a lot of reading and thinking both of which can
be dangerous activities. I read a lot about the advantages of growing in
coconut vs. bark. I read a lot about semi-hydroponics culture. I read a
lot about growing on slabs. All seem to have advantages and disadvantages.
How do you determine which is best? What do you consider to be the
advantages vs. the disadvantages?

I really like the aesthetics of orchids that are mounted. I love to water
and find it hard to overwater them. I find I can pack more plants into the
growing space because they are hung as opposed to resting on the benches.
But how to determine which orchids are best for this culture? I haven't
found much written. Some phals, such as Phal venosa, are growing
beautifully on cork. Will all phals benefit from being mounted? How does
one ascertain the benefits of pot culture (either s/h or traditional media)
vs. mounting?

Similarly, if I elect for potting, how does one determine whether to go with
the inert semi-hydroponics vs. other media? Are you out there Ray? I have
found lots of literature regarding differing organic media and
comparing/contrasting bark vs. moss vs. tree fern etc. I have found little
information to help guide me in selecting whether to go organic vs.
semi-hydroponics.

As I have been thinking, again stressing that this is a dangerous habit, it
would seem to me that a consistent system for a collection/greenhouse makes
more sense than having several differing kinds of culture yet as we all know
each orchid has a mind of its own. I would think a more uniform system
would ease watering, fertilizing etc and have fewer opportunities for
errors. If there is a mistake to be made in orchid culture, trust me, I
will find it and make it!

So, these are my thoughts as I contemplate reorganizing my greenhouse and
think about converting to mounts or semi-hydroponics. I am curious what the
group has to say and look forward to learning from you.

Thanks.

Frank

Old 22-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Yes, Frank, there are always advantages and disadvantages; that's a big part
of why there are so many "right" ways of growing the same orchid G.

Mounting has many advantages [there are some orchids I wouldn't consider
trying to grow any other way, like B. digbyana and most of the Schombos, for
starters]. The biggest advantages that spring to mind: 1. It's almost
impossible to overwater; 2. "repotting" is virtually eliminated -- if the
plant outgrows the mount, one can either let it encircle and start growing
on top of itself, or just put the whole mount onto a larger one; 3. pests
and diseases have no place to hide, and so can be discovered and treated
sooner. The disadvantages I hear most about a 1. the plant must be
watered more frequently than if it were potted; 2. it can be more difficult
to display inside the home while in flower. Deciding what's "best" _for
you_ means evaluating these pluses and minuses and deciding which are more
important. If you like to water, and either have a way (or don't want) to
display mounted plants inside your home when they flower, then mounts are
for you. If you hate to water, or grow primarily for the benefit of
bringing plants into your home for display, then they probably aren't.

As for potting media, we prefer those which don't break down, or at least
don't break down quickly [bark lasts no time, around here]. Using
non-decomposing media such as lava rock allows us to repot less often, and
usually to just "pot up" rather than a traditional repotting which includes
removal of all old medium. This is not only a money/labor saver; it also
means less transplant shock for the plants. However, lava rock can be
dangerous for those with poor water quality or a tendency to be heavy-handed
with the fertilizer. So, again, which is best for you depends on you and
your circumstances.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 22-10-2003, 09:42 PM
AN

hi guys
what about pumice????
will this be ok as an inert-long lasting medium?????\
i'm thinking about clay pellets but pumice is plenty around where i live

personally i will rather put some charcoal and pumice in a basket(wire or wood)
for the plants that do better mounted ie(schobos and rhyncholaelia digbyana), i
just think the plant looks nicer when it grows straight up
thanks

Old 22-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Kenni Judd

Who told you a plant can't grow "straight up" on a mount? G

We have several of our Schombos, and some other plants, growing upright
[from our perspective, even tho it's caddy-whompus from the plant's point of
view] on horizontal mounts. It's just a matter of attaching the hanger
differently, through the center of the mount instead of one end.

I've been looking at pumice, but not tried it yet.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 23-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

That's a neat idea and would help with the problem of how to display the
mounted plant when in bloom. If the mount lies flat, all one would need is
some sort of decorative tray. KEWL!

I appreciate the responses.

Frank
.. .

Old 23-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Ray

Frank, et al,

I think the decision of how to pot-up/mount your plants is determined by
three factors and how they interact with each other:

1. The needs and wants of the plant, both conditions and growth habit,
2. The conditions that you can easily and consistently provide, and
3. Your personal attitudes about potting, watering and feeding.

Personally, I have plants in pots of sphagnum or CHC based medium, in
semi-hydroponics, on branches and tree fern and cork (both vertically
mounted and on rafts), in baskets of charcoal, diatomite, or CHC, and even a
vanda hanging potless from a wire.

My collection is in a small standalone greenhouse that has a ready supply of
RO water for humidifying, heavy misting, and for watering with injected
nutrients. The humidity is automatically controlled, the misting occurs at
a touch of a button at my desk, and when I water (which includes feeding),
all of the plants (and I) get thoroughly and equally doused. There are two
large air circulators that really keep the air moving 24 hours a day.
Vandaceous plants and high-light oncidiums and encyclias hang up high,
providing shade for the plants below.

What they're in/on and where in the greenhouse has more-or-less evolved for
each plant, but when I get something new, the growth habit and growth
conditions help me decide whether it's to be potted or mounted. If it's
potted, my first inclination is semi-hydroponics, due to it's simplicity,
ease of potting, and the lack of fear of rot, but some things are just
better off in moss. Most plants that I get in potted in organic media make
it to S/H eventually, as I have a tendency to overwater (see 3., above).